Found a shop that knows its stuff!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was calling around and trying to find a place to have oil changes/other work done on my car next year when I'm in college. (5 hours from home). I got a LOT of kinda rude or not-particularly-confidence-instilling answers, like "it comes out of a tank and says it's synthetic blend" or shops that acted like I was bothering them. I called one on a whim that's a gas station and 6 or 8-bay shop. The guy politely answered the phone, even though it was right before closing time. He asked how he could help (after digging online, it's a family operation). I asked for an oil change price, and he asked what kind of car I had. When I told him "06 Buick Lacrosse" he said "Ok, that'd be our Thrive 5w30 Synblend. It meets American Petroleum Institute standards and the GM6094M standard your car calls for" (at this point I was shocked). Then I asked him about synthetic, to which he said: "our Thrive full synthetic meets the new gen 2 Dexos spec, and would be another $8." (the base price was $35, cheaper than Jiffy Lube or Valvoline without a coupon). I then asked him what filter they used, not expecting anything better than a generic Puro or something. He then replied, "we use Napa Gold filters for all of our oil changes." (except Amsoil changes which he advised against because of the unnecessary cost). At this point, he told me that they would need 45 minutes to do an oil change. Before the end of the conversation, he mentioned that they look the car over for problems but don't ever upsell. And, the true kicker, he told me that my car has an oil life monitor and I should change it only as often as that tells me to.

The Thrive oil looks solid. It's here. http://www.uslube.com/engineoils.html

TL;DR:

The shop uses API certified oil
More importantly, the guy knew what this meant
He knew my car's specs right off the bat
They use Napa Gold filters even on the basic oil changes
They take the time to do a complete job
They recommend following the OLM
They charge a fair price

They just earned my business!

A lot of shady shops out there. I'm glad you found what appears to be a decent place
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: Danno
After you get your 1st service done, do report back and name the shop.

Yes, if they do well - they deserve props

The shop I used to work at was just like that. They're rare and few and far between but nice when you actually find one! Seems to always be the locally owned little guys though. I've never had luck with chains like Walmart, 'Iffy Lube and Valvoline. Only ever taken work vehicles there because I had to, would never take my personal vehicle to any of them.

Sounds like you got lucky . :)

We bought a 2006 Buick Lacrosse CX 3.8l this summer . With 37,000 miles on the clock .

The dealer had the oil changed before wee took delivery . Have not driven it enough to require our first oil change .

I may be wrong , but I do not think it requires Dexos oil ( our 2015 Chevy Sonic does ) .

I was planning on using some Shell dino / conventional oil I bought on sale . And change oil / filter around 3,000 miles , as I have always done with dino oil .

Are you aware , the 3.8l GM engine uses plastic coolant elbows , which I read get brittle and crack / brake when the car gets older / lots of miles .

I replaced mine with metal elbows , even though the plastic ones I took off did not look too bad . Since I had gone to the work to remove them , I sure was not going to reinstall the old parts .

How many miles on your Buick ? I suggest you have the guy you discovered check the plastic elbows out .

Best of luck to you all , :)
Wyr
God bless

I'd give them a shot, while I watch and wait. Then if the pass muster continue with them, if not the hunt continues.

Sounds like a nice shop. Where at in MN? I'm just over the river from La Crescent and an hour away from Rochester, might be good to know of this shop.

You are smart enough to know what to use. My customers want the cheapest price. They do not understand why the oil they used in their 95 Taurus is not good enough for their 2015 tdi. I dont do many oil changes due to this. I cant match iffy lubes $19.99 special and I am not putting the wrong spec in.

I have gone to an AutoZone or a Napa store in the past and get them to tell me who they recommend working on general repairs, usually it works out...be sure and stop by 2 stores of your choice and see if they recommend the same repair shops...worked for me.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
I'd give them a shot, while I watch and wait. Then if the pass muster continue with them, if not the hunt continues.

+1, everything sounds good but still keep your guard up. I've had this happen before only to be let down when they've dropped the ball on something. I know mistakes happen but when they start to add up, NEXT....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back