Anyone know anything about anvils

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wiley coyote know a lot about them I bet
smile.gif

I am joking here obviously. That is pretty neat though seriously.

Quote:
Anyone know anything about anvils

They are heavy. I had to lift one over my head before I could marry Mrs. Molakule.

Is it yours? Any other markings on it? What does it say underneath SOLID WROUGHT?
I second the motion about asking about it over at Garage Journal.

Are you going to use it? I've been taking blacksmithing lessons. Interesting but it takes a whole new and large set of tools, an anvil is just the beginning.

A garage without an anvil is just a storage facility. One with an anvil is a workshop.

Lots of anvils were made locally, as there were metal casting facilities in almost every city. So, you may never know who made it. But on the chance it was made, say, in the same State as you live, I would send / print some photos and ask a local auctioneer if he knows anything about it.

Originally Posted By: bbhero
Wiley coyote know a lot about them I bet
smile.gif

I am joking here obviously. That is pretty neat though seriously.

I was thinking the same when I read the title. I'm laughing that it looks just like an ACME brand one.

That little "ear" on the table means it's a farrier anvil (horseshoes)

It doesn't look more than maybe 50-60 years old.

Many anvils that are not solid wrought have a hardened face added. Those are worth owning.

I wonder if your is implying the face is NOT hardened?

Originally Posted By: Linctex
Many anvils that are not solid wrought have a hardened face added. Those are worth owning.

I wonder if your is implying the face is NOT hardened?

In the second photo it looks like you can see the steel face on top.

Originally Posted By: Johnny2Bad
A garage without an anvil is just a storage facility. One with an anvil is a workshop.

I've never really considered buying one, but I also beat on stuff on my poor little vice...
Anvils were priced crazy here though, you could buy a new large vice for how much anvils were going for at farm auctions...

It's mine and it's much older than 50 or 60 years and made in England.Maybe I will post a pic on the forum someone suggested I will let you all know what I find out.

Check out a YouTube channel called "How Ridiculous." Most of the videos involve Australian guys dropping anvils (sometimes flaming) from a tower onto things on the ground. the guys are funny and the production value is pretty good.

Interesting. I've never seen one in person.

I have heard that some people can mess up an anvil with a rubber mallet, but that in practice, the anvil actually damages the hammer instead of the hammer doing the damage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back