Which grease?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am going to put chain/sprocket set and wheels back together for my current motorcycle.

In manual it says yo use Lithium Soap base grease. I have 3 types of grease laying around, Super Tech Moly-Lithium and General purpose and then a tub of axle/bearing grease from Autozone.

Can I use either or? Or which one would be better?

Thanks for the help.

I would use either the axle/bearing since it likely has good water resistance or the Moly-Lithium.

But if you want to spend $10 then a tub of Bel-Ray Waterproof # 99540 is decent stuff and doubles for headsets and swingarm.

Thanks, maybe I am overly thinking but between Moly-Lithium and Bearing grease, which would be better?

Not sure. I would probably choose wheel bearing grease but I have no hard evidence why.

Hopefully someone that actually knows these things will join in soon.

I like the Bel-Ray mentioned above but I service all my bearings regularly and so I think just about any grease would work in such intervals.

The good news is you only have 98 more times to think about it.

Originally Posted By: ArcticDriver

The good news is you only have 98 more times to think about it.

LMAO

the good thing about bel ray is its tendency to not really bleed at all..and its very water resistant. it would be a good choice for your head bearings. seems like all bikes like to seep oil from there if the grease bleeds. on any motorcycle i always pop the grease seals off, flush the new grease out and pack a good grease about 2/3rds full. some new bearings have next to no grease present. in the past i also used belray for this in my dirtbikes for water resistance. bearings last waaaay longer.

Last edited:
I use a moly grease in most of my equipment and on my motorcycle steering neck, swing arm bearings and chains.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back