Old Aeroshell W oil... Modern equavelant?

Status
Not open for further replies.
We recently bought a house and there was a bunch of stuff left in the hangar. There are several cans (old paper cans before plastic bottles) of Aeroshell W oil. It doesn't say what the weight is nor any other information. I'm using Aeroshell W 100 plus in the airplane right now. What would this old stuff be equal to? If not good for the airplane, what else would it be good in? The lawnmower? The tractor? An oil lamp?

I also have some old W100 and some cans of turbine oil. How do these compare? I think W100 is the W100 plus without additives, right?

What Airpark???
smile.gif

Aeroshell was usually 100 wt (aka W100), which is 50 wt SAE equivalent. Piston aircraft, especially older variants, usually specified non-detergent oil, so you probably have a quart of SAE 50 non-detergent formula.

You can run it in classic air-cooled motorcycles (pre-1980 or so) with a short OCI.

It works great in older Harleys.

I do not fear ND oil in aircraft engines when mixed 50/50 with any modern AD oil.

Older W100 and Aeroshell 15W-50 work excellent as a a 50/50 mix in any older aircraft engine, like my Lycoming O-290-D

I wouldn't run it in an O-320-H2AD Lycoming (the "camshaft eaters") but older Continetal O-200's on down to A-65's will run that stuff for forever.

Originally Posted By: Taildragger
Originally Posted By: paramax55
22FA - whe're you at?

94FL
smile.gif

Hey, you guys are close to each other. Pancakes!

Originally Posted By: Taildragger
22FA - whe're you at?

94FL
smile.gif

We have a spot landing contest / party coming up on the 11th. Pilot safety meeting starts at 9:00 A.M. with coffee/donuts starting at 8:30. After the spot landing, there's going to be a "bomb drop" contest for the kids (probably water baloons) and then BBQ. It's all free and the more, the merrier! Come on by!

Originally Posted By: Linctex
It works great in older Harleys.

I do not fear ND oil in aircraft engines when mixed 50/50 with any modern AD oil.

Older W100 and Aeroshell 15W-50 work excellent as a a 50/50 mix in any older aircraft engine, like my Lycoming O-290-D

I wouldn't run it in an O-320-H2AD Lycoming (the "camshaft eaters") but older Continetal O-200's on down to A-65's will run that stuff for forever.

I have an IO-360. I could probably run it with some Camguard, but it might be cheaper just to buy new W100 plus. This stuff would probanly do well in the lawnmower, though. Actually, it would make sense. It has an air cooled engine and I run avgas in it. Regular oil probably doesn't like the lead.

Anynody know anything about the turnine oil? I have about a case of that stuff.

I have an IO-360. I could probably run it with some Camguard, but it might be cheaper just to buy new W100 plus. This stuff would probanly do well in the lawnmower, though. Actually, it would make sense. It has an air cooled engine and I run avgas in it. Regular oil probably doesn't like the lead.

Turbine oils are unsuitable for internal combustion engines, for a variety of reasons:

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4523107/1

Originally Posted By: kschachn

Turbine oils are unsuitable for internal combustion engines, for a variety of reasons:

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4523107/1

Cool, thanks. Looks like it will make a good cutting oil for the lathe.

I think W100 is the W100 plus without additives, right?

Technically speaking they all have additives and are all 50 grade oils

AeroShell 100 are straight mineral They are blended from selected high
viscosity index base stocks and contain a minimum quantity of additives.

AeroShell Oil 100 (50 grade)
230cSt @40C
19.7cSt @100C

AeroShell 'W' is ashless dispersant with non-metallic dispersant additives.

AeroShell Oil W100 (50 grade)
200cSt @ 40C
20.2cSt @ 100C

AeroShell W100 Plus are single-grade ashless dispersant with the extra
anti-wear and anti-corrosion additive package of AeroShell Oil 15W-50.

AeroShell Oil W100 Plus (50 grade)
195cSt @ 40C
19.9cSt @ 100C

Aeroshell Oil 15W 50 is a semi-synthetic multigrade ashless dispersant
oil blend of a mineral oil and synthetic hydrocarbons with an additive
package.

AeroShell Oil 15W-50 (50 grade)
140cSt @40C
19.6cSt @100C

What is Shell up too??? well for those owners seeking a 50 grade the
Aeroshell 15W50 is the most current oil engineered to flow quicker at
start up before warm up but also provided the viscosity protection at
operating temps of a 50 grade... you'll note the old 100 starts out
with a slow flow of 230 cSt @ 40ºC whereas the 15W50 starts with a
improved flow of 140 cSt @ 40ºC but the flow @ 100ºC are virtually the
same 19.7 cSt versus 19.6 cSt respectfully... I think Shell believes
that the most wear occurs during starter up before warm up so a
quicker flowing 50 grade the better...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: BusyLittleShop
you'll note the old 100 starts out with a slow flow of 230 cSt @ 40ºC whereas the 15W50 starts with a
improved flow of 140 cSt @ 40ºC but the flow @ 100ºC are virtually the same 19.7 cSt versus 19.6 cSt respectfully... I think Shell believes that the most wear occurs during starter up before warm up so a quicker flowing 50 grade the better...

AGREED! I see lots of pilots start their engines at 2000 rpm .... I preach how much damage they are doing but they don't listen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back