OK to use up loose quarts of Schaeffer?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've a 2016 Colorado Duramax diesel with a 2.8l I4. Walmart has 5 quart jugs of Pennzoil Platinum Euro L 5w-30 C3/dexos2 for a very reasonable price of around $23.00. The quarts not so much $7.00

I have a two leftover quarts of Schaeffers 8008 ADVANCED EUROPEAN PERFORMANCE MID SAPS SAE 5W-30 ACEA C3 which is dexos2 and VW 507 suitable that I want to use up. Additionally both are API SN.

What are the BITOG gurus consensus on using 5qts of the Penn and a quart of the Schaeffers as the sump on the Colorado is 6 qts capacity. Seeing how they are both C3, dexos2 and the same weight would this be advisable?

Should be fine, unless you are planning an extended OCI.

If you're still worried you can send them to me I'll be restocking my Schaeffer shortly.
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: Kuato

If you're still worried you can send them to me I'll be restocking my Schaeffer shortly.
grin.gif

Why would you want to degrade the Schaeffer oil?
grin.gif

I just met my Rep in Lynchburg yesterday for a case of ATF. He treats me right...

Depending on where you live in NC, I could come by and get them.

Last edited:

grin.gif

You moving away from Amsoil and using Schaeffers now? Or is the restocking a part of your Thick/Thin test?

Thanks for the replies. I was really torn between using a CJ/CK or ACEA E9 in this vehicle but decided for the warranty period to stay with a C3. Having said that either M1 ESP, PP Euro L or Valvoline MST will end up being its diet.

I had a couple of qts of Schaeffer left over from a case I had ordered for use in the Tdi. It's great stuff, just a tad pricey, especially when compared to the PP at WalMart.

So for the next two oc's I'll go with 5 qts PP Euro L and a qt of the good stuff (Schaeffer). After that who knows. I really want to run a 5w40 and Valvoline MST 5w-40 is available locally an NAPA. If you can wait until it goes on sale (and it does) it's not too expensive.

Still think E9 is a much more robust OIL, but not sure if the DPF will suffer. Oh the humanity...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JustN89

grin.gif

You moving away from Amsoil and using Schaeffers now? Or is the restocking a part of your Thick/Thin test?

The jury is still out on the Amsoil vs Schaeffer; the Schaeffer UOA was that good...I am waiting for the Amsoil 5w30 run to be completed before making the decision....and with Amsoil's new formulation I feel I will need to get a UOA from that also, before the final final decision LOL. In the thick vs thin test I am comparing Amsoil vs Amsoil only, all SS, which will give me enough data for my decision.

The jury is still out on the Amsoil vs Schaeffer; the Schaeffer UOA was that good...I am waiting for the Amsoil 5w30 run to be completed before making the decision....and with Amsoil's new formulation I feel I will need to get a UOA from that also, before the final final decision LOL. In the thick vs thin test I am comparing Amsoil vs Amsoil only, all SS, which will give me enough data for my decision.

Amsoil is a true PAO synthetic. Really good stuff. I don't know about Schaeffers but I suspect it is also. The Pennzoil Plat Euro L is a highly hydrocracked made from natural gas.

I'd run the Schaeffers but really my truck is really just a daily driver, not so much a work truck per se, so the group III stuff will be fine for me. Good luck with your research!

Originally Posted By: sohccammer427

Amsoil is a true PAO synthetic. Really good stuff. I don't know about Schaeffers but I suspect it is also. The Pennzoil Plat Euro L is a highly hydrocracked made from natural gas.

I'd run the Schaeffers but really my truck is really just a daily driver, not so much a work truck per se, so the group III stuff will be fine for me. Good luck with your research!

Thanks; I've got the considerations of least wear as well as reducing how much oil I actually use; so an extended drain >OLM / 10000 miles is of interest.

Originally Posted By: JustN89

grin.gif

Gotcha, sounds good to me. I do remember seeing your UOA and it was a really good showing for Schaeffer. Looking forward to your Amsoil UOA!

I wouldn't have any concerns at all with using 5 quarts of the PP and one quart of the Schaefer, both meet the spec requirements of your application. Both are good oils, likely better than what the majority of these trucks will be serviced with out in the wild and outside the BITOG members. I wouldn't have any concerns with running that out to the extent of the OLM.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back