ACDelco PF-47 oil filter instead of Merc filter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there any major difference between the two? Is it ok to substitute filters or is there something special about the Merc filter? Cross reference shows the 4.3 Chevrolet engine calls for this (PF47) filter.

Lol, no. I can't remember the last time we out a Merc filter on one of those things, except for when called for by customer or warranty. There is no rocket science going on there. Very basic filter for a premium price.

I take it you don't have the remote mount oil filter?

Regardless of what filter you use, if your engine has the Vortex oil pan, be very careful in making sure the filter is tightened properly. With the way the pan shrouds the oil filter, a lot od people never getbthem on right. We've has customers who had them fall off, and other times the filter Spun off the engine with two fingers when going to change the oil.

Mercury has used AC and Prestolite filters for years.
Not sure who makes their filters now, but they are just
auto filters with paint and decals to Merc specs.

My 2¢

Originally Posted By: DoubleWasp
Lol, no. I can't remember the last time we out a Merc filter on one of those things, except for when called for by customer or warranty. There is no rocket science going on there. Very basic filter for a premium price.

Regardless of what filter you use, if your engine has the Vortex oil pan, be very careful in making sure the filter is tightened properly. With the way the pan shrouds the oil filter, a lot od people never getbthem on right. We've has customers who had them fall off, and other times the filter Spun off the engine with two fingers when going to change the oil.

Hi, can you please expand on this? I just did the first service on our Chaparral w/ the 4.3l and the oil filter was on "two fingers" finger tight. No leaks surprisingly, it was that loose. I installed the new Sierra filter properly, visually ensuring 2/3 turn post gasket contact, but aside from the tight clearance around it, I didn't notice anything unusual. Are folks contacting the block w/ the filter wrench the thinking the filter is tight?? Thanks.

Originally Posted By: wings&wheels
Originally Posted By: DoubleWasp

Hi, can you please expand on this? I just did the first service on our Chaparral w/ the 4.3l and the oil filter was on "two fingers" finger tight. No leaks surprisingly, it was that loose. I installed the new Sierra filter properly, visually ensuring 2/3 turn post gasket contact, but aside from the tight clearance around it, I didn't notice anything unusual. Are folks contacting the block w/ the filter wrench the thinking the filter is tight?? Thanks.
fat fingers like mine cant get between the filter and pan. I use a longer filter on my wifes junk....Err Chevy.

We have no issues getting it done, because we methodically use a cap wrench to install those filters.

As noted above, some people can't get their fingers in between the block and pan, leading to the filters never being tightened improperly.

Thanks for the help. I used a PF-47 Delco filter on the boat w/Chevron Delo 15W-40 oil. Took 5 quarts and I used the filter wrench to tighten the filter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back