Pennzoil Platinum 5w30 price and availability

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is this more hassle than it's worth? I saw such amazing reviews on here and talking about how cheap it is. It is going for around the same price as royal purple now. Upwards of $39 and only available online and only a few places.

Is this the future of this oil? Both expensive and hard to get?

Last edited:
If you live anywhere near a Walmart (or can have it delivered from WM) then it's typically $22-$26 per jug. With a $10 mfg rebate you net out at $12-$16. It can be priced as high as $35-$39 at other local retailers and auto parts stores. It often comes up for clearance at Autozone in Nov-Dec. The weekend of Thanksgiving 2016 Walmart was clearing the shelves of PP at $19.88/jug. It took some stores weeks/months to restock.

Quaker State Ultimate Durability is not much different than PP. That's at Walmart for $19+ and a $7 mfg rebate. Advance Auto Parts was clearing the shelves on all QS the past month...often down to 75c-$2.15/qt on synthetics (before rebate). Sopus going through some reformulations on QS and possibly PP as well. Stay tuned.

welcome2.gif

Advance Auto has 5 quarts and a Purolator Boss filter for $29.99, plus you get $5 in rewards (which is $5 to spend on a future visit to AAP) and a free hat. There may also be a rebate on the oil, too.

Originally Posted By: ammolab
So you mean PP Ultra? Pennsoil Platinum 5W-30 is piled high at Walmart for less than $23/5qt jug

The OP was asking about Pennzoil Platinum...not Ultra. I replied accordingly. Fwiw, I rarely see the PUP and wouldn't even buy it any ways.

At my local Walmart I can pick up jugs of PP 5w-20/30 essentially any time I'm there. They usually have the new 0w-40 too. Is it piled to the ceiling? No, I don't think so. That would be unsafe and a hazard to customers. It's on rollback at $22.88 or less per jug about 3-5X per year. Last Thanksgiving my local Walmarts cleared the shelves off the previous version of PP for $19.88/jug ($9.88 after rebate). Found cheap oten enough that I've never yet paid more than $22/jug ($12 net after rebate). But with so much recent QSUD purchased from AAP at under $10/jug (nets out at $3 or less after rebate)...the Pennzoil Plat will have to wait a while as I deplete my QSUD.

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
welcome2.gif

Advance Auto has 5 quarts and a Purolator Boss filter for $29.99, plus you get $5 in rewards (which is $5 to spend on a future visit to AAP) and a free hat. There may also be a rebate on the oil, too.

Good deal. And a net $14.99 after rebates. Effectively under $10 for the PP jug. Yes, $10 PP rebate per jug through rest of 2017.

The Nov/Dec Auto Zone clearance may have PP on sale too. Might be able to get some at net $0/qt...though usually the grades in lesser demand (ie everything but 0/5w-20/30).

My local WM store is showing PP jugs at 22.47....and ready to order on line for free pick up.

At our local WM, PPHM is $22.68 for the 5 qt jug, the same as Mobil 1 HM. RP is $47/5 qt jug, Valvoline FSHM Maxlife is $27/5 qt jug.

@69GTX it says that the Pennzoil Platinum 5W30 Motor Oil, 5 Qt is Out of Stock even in CT. You can get the 1 QT jugs but then it's a $32 purchase. Then there is the PPHM for $22.47 and a PP Euro for $22.47 which are both in stock at my Walmart.

My Advance Auto Parts shows PP5w30 @ 37.99

So should I get PPHM or PP Euro for $22.47? I thought all of the positive analysis was strictly PP and not it's siblings but if it's all the same then I'll choose one of those.

edit: Suzuki 72k

Last edited:
Going to put the kabosh on this thread as I'm annoyed with the product availability. I thought Pennzoil was a mainstream brand and not a boutique. These shortages and price increases will get annoying in the future and I just want a stable company with a stable oil. Just going to stick with Mobil 1 for the life of the car. Thanks everyone.

Originally Posted By: clatus
Going to put the kabosh on this thread as I'm annoyed with the product availability. I thought Pennzoil was a mainstream brand and not a boutique. These shortages and price increases will get annoying in the future and I just want a stable company with a stable oil. Just going to stick with Mobil 1 for the life of the car. Thanks everyone.

Be patient plan ahead and it will be on Rollback at Walmart. May take a month but then that's why you should have a stash. I have the oil I want on hand for at least my next five changes. I don't have to rush just wait for the next sale and the next great rebate. They currently show some PP online on Rollback in my area.

Last edited:
Check local inventory here (brickseek.com walmart inventory checker)

Don't know why it's so hard to find on their website right now - there's plenty in stock near me @ $22.47

don't know where in florida you are, but there's only one walmart that doesn't have it in a 60 mile radius out of jacksonville, and it's in macclenny.

Last edited:
I just noticed that NAPA has Pennzoil Platinum 5W30 full synthetic on special this month for those of you without Walmart for $4.99 a quart.

It's funny, I can buy PUP by the pallet if I want at Canadian Tire. And after the $10 rebate, it's around $25CAD per five litre jug.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back