Moved Motorcycle to Wintering Spot in Garage ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Time of year has arrived where I envy those living in better climate zones for riding. Still accessible for the odd day but now parked on center stand at back of garage, battery maintainer connected. Was able to put 1300 miles on since taking delivery Aug 29th. Filter and oils (three holes) changed out few weeks ago.

I'm feeling the same thing. Usually I commute here in Chicago on my bike until mid December, unless it gets snowy before then. But this past week has been COLD! These mid/upper 30 degree weather doesn't usually happen for another month.

Yeah, it is sad to see all the posts about people putting the bike up for the winter.

While I only recently just got back into riding, I know I will be riding year long.
My ride to work is only 3 miles, so unless there is ice on the road, snowing (it does that maybe once a decade), or raining when I leave in the morning, I rid my bike to work. While I don't enjoy riding in the rain, the 5-10 minute ride home from work in the rain is not that bad. Last night my legs and shoes got soaked on the ride home last night.

Now I may not take long "joy rides" in the winter, I don't think it will be more than a week at a time that I don't ride.

I'm just now pulling mine out for the most part. I LOVE the weather in the winter, and HATE the weather in the summer, so I do most of my riding October to March.

I always feel a little sad for you guys when it's time to tuck the bike away for the winter. If you're like me you think of your bike as your friend, hate to put it away I'm sure. Here in Phoenix I ride all year round for the most part but my riding does go way down in the summer, just way too hot. But I don't have to store it or anything, it's still there in it's spot in the garage as always. The longest I go is about 2 weeks, there's plenty of higher elevation around to enjoy in the heat of the summer.

We just hit peak riding season now, I count my blessings on that.

Anyhow I feel for you guys, hope you get a some decent days sprinkled in over then winter.

I won't give up until the snow is flying.

Today, it's paddle-shod dirt bike riding at the sand dunes.
grin.gif

Time to put mine up for winter, is it bad to suspend air shocks off the ground???I usually put my bike on a stand that will jack the bike completely off the ground, but had to replace my air shocks this past summer and wondered if I am doing them harm?

I ride year round, certainly when commuting, I'm out on my scooter everyday. The R65 gets a birthday over winter, maintenance done, but comes out on nice days. Lately every weekend has been wet or some family thing, I'll probably only get a couple of rides in before Xmas.

Sad day huh? I hope to get a couple more rides in before mine goes into hibernation before the snow comes in.

Wow ... I cant image putting it away for an entire winter. We will be in the 80s the next few days and looking forward to getting out for at least a little while. Maybe Ill get the trans oil changed and depending on mileage, the engine oil for a fresh winter fill.

It does/can get cold here smack in the middle of winter, where sometimes the bike can sit for up to 3 weeks if you dont hit the warm days just right on your days off from work, we have days that hit the 60s and its fun to get out, it feels like you are cheating winter, the sun is low in the sky, yet the temps in the 60s, put on a jacket and your good to go, at least while the sun is up anyway. I never started a ride with it less then 58 degrees or so, knowing the day would get warmer.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Bambam
Time to put mine up for winter, is it bad to suspend air shocks off the ground???I usually put my bike on a stand that will jack the bike completely off the ground, but had to replace my air shocks this past summer and wondered if I am doing them harm?

I am in CT too and I usually wait for the first week of December to put mine up. With how mild of a fall we are having, there should be plenty of good riding weather remaining.

As for your air shocks, yeah I wouldn't lift them off the ground. I just put carpet under the tires and store the bike that way. The carpet will prevent the tires from getting flat spots.

My storage routine is to wash and dry the bike, fill the gas tank up to the top with fresh gas, add K100MG fuel treatment, ride the bike into the garage, force sections of carpet under the tires, hook up a battery tender and throw a cloth cover over it. I also put a moth ball under the seat and on the ground under the bike. The mice got me last year because I forgot the moth balls. Not letting that happen again!

both of my ladies are tucked in for the winter slumber! fresh 93 octane gas, K100 MG + to pickle the gas, fresh oil-filter change, cleaned off, parked, locked, battery tender, and covered; V Star 250 also got a heavy coating of maxima chain wax to seal out the elements; stored the V Star a few weeks ago with no mileage on the new oil change & the Buddy 125 got stored today with less than 100 miles on the new oil change

Originally Posted By: kmrcstintn
both of my ladies are tucked in for the winter slumber! fresh 93 octane gas, K100 MG + to pickle the gas, fresh oil-filter change, cleaned off, parked, locked, battery tender, and covered; V Star 250 also got a heavy coating of maxima chain wax to seal out the elements; stored the V Star a few weeks ago with no mileage on the new oil change & the Buddy 125 got stored today with less than 100 miles on the new oil change

You should ride it minimum of an hour duration after the oil change. This circulates and coats the inside w/ new oil and gets cold start/run moisture out of the crankcase.

Able to get both cars in and enough walk about room with it sitting here. Granted we're talking compact cars. Forester and a Ford Fusion. Std 20 x 20 attached garage. Recently cleaned garage floor as well (epoxy coated).

IMG_20171109_111412647.jpg

The motorcycle spokes torque wrench (in/lbs) arrived today. Expected it to be imported but didn't expect Free China. Seems to be decent quality. In retrospect after learning more about the topic from you guys, probably all I needed was a $15 regular spoke wrench but oh well ... this ought to get it done too, for snugging the occasional spoke that goes thunk instead of twang when tapped on. Least I won't over torque it, LoL.

IMG_20171109_174927.jpg

IMG_20171109_174817.jpg

IMG_20171109_175106.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back