Open Governor Arm when I start up

Status
Not open for further replies.
My Briggs and Stratton 126M02-1525-F1 has a auto choke that the second it starts opens the governor arm all the way and the engine dies. So is it the spring or thermostat opening it? I am guessing spring since the thermostat is still cold.

Thoughts?

You have an air vane governor autochoke system. On cold start-up, the spring keeps the choke closed. When the engine starts, the flywheel fan opens the choke fully via the air vane governor. When the engine is fully warmed-up, the thermostat keeps the choke off so when stopping/starting the engine when hot it does not flood.

If the engine starts then quickly dies, there are two main things to check/do.

1) make sure spring is not missing or disconnected.
2) The main jet is clogged (bowl nut is also the main jet) needs to be cleaned. Check for water/debris in bowl if jet is removed.

I know on my honda gx pressure washer it frequently will be set at idle or just a little higher when trying to start, when I know I shut it off at full throttle. Usually has trouble starting if it's not At least 3/4 throttle.

Originally Posted By: GravelRoad
You have an air vane autochoke system. On cold start-up, the spring keeps the choke closed. When the engine starts, the flywheel fan opens the choke fully via the air vane. When the engine is fully warmed-up, the thermostat keeps the choke off so when stopping/starting the engine when hot it does not flood.

2) The main jet is clogged (bowl nut is also the main jet) needs to be cleaned. Check for water/debris in bowl if jet is removed.

Edit: Removed the word governor. (Brain [censored])
blush.gif

You have a mechanical governor that is at full throttle until engine starts.

It sounds like the governor is working as it should. Like said, the governor opens the throttle plate based on engine RPM. No RPM means wide open throttle. If it won't stay running, it sounds like you have a another issue going on such as fuel quality, a carb or spark issue.

Originally Posted By: JTK
It sounds like the governor is working as it should. Like said, the governor opens the throttle plate based on engine RPM. No RPM means wide open throttle. If it won't stay running, it sounds like you have a another issue going on such as fuel quality, a carb or spark issue.

All changed and new

Originally Posted By: GravelRoad
You have an air vane governor autochoke system. On cold start-up, the spring keeps the choke closed. When the engine starts, the flywheel fan opens the choke fully via the air vane governor. When the engine is fully warmed-up, the thermostat keeps the choke off so when stopping/starting the engine when hot it does not flood.

Thanks,I will check and put a new spring in

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back