Is the 1.4 ecotec turbo a reliable engine?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Im still debating if I should get a 2017 sonic RS with the 1.4 turbo. My cruze has the 1.8 naturally aspirated engine and I'm close to 100k miles on it and it's been good so far. Should I be aware of any querks and defects from the 1.4 turbo? Also, the 2017 sonics have the 1st generation 1.4 ecotec 138 HP, not the same as the new cruze with stop start technology. Do you think GM fixed the defects on the 2017 sonic 1.4 engine since they introduced it in 2011? Like the pcv valve in the valve cover and the thermostat that are not durable.

Thanks!

Last edited:
The 1.4 is tough on the oil, don’t run the OLM past 25%...

Use a full synthetic Dexos 1 rated 5w-30, I thin it out with a quart of Mobil 1 AFE 0W-30...

Sing “Happy Birthday”, or wait 30 seconds before shutting car off, cool the turbo down...

I have a 2012 Cruze with 1.4 Turbo. I have used only Mobil 1 5w-30 and change by olm or one year. No issues so far. I believe 2017 cars use direct injection version as opposed to port injection. As long as it is maintained properly it should be ok. Don't let anyone scare you away. Also, with these engines, you DONT have to wait to shut the car off or sing happy birthday. That is out dated thinking for older turbo vehicles. Modern engineering has fixed this.....at least at GM.

Originally Posted By: mattwithcats

Use a full synthetic Dexos 1 rated 5w-30, I thin it out with a quart of Mobil 1 AFE 0W-30...

Here over the pond we prefer 5w40 or even a 5w50 (for diulite monsters) oils to battle fuel diulition and to get extra protection of the engine....and we also prefer to do OCI under extreme usage schedule (OCI at 5-7kkmiles)

Can you please explain why do you want a thinner oils in DI Turbo engine?

My Cruze is not DI ... but just filled with M1 0w40 and that will be in the 1.4T when it hits 100k

My Son in law drives a 2012 Cruze with 287000 KM ,1.4 Turbo bullet proof replaced waterpump warr . PCMO used EDGE EXTENDED 5W 30 .

Sing “Happy Birthday”, or wait 30 seconds before shutting car off, cool the turbo down...

This day in age, aren’t these turbos water cooled?

Originally Posted By: leje0306

This day in age, aren’t these turbos water cooled?

It is and even if it wasn't I don't think it's necessary to cool them unless you were doing high performance driving.

I had one but not for long. I have family members with a 2012 and 2014 Cruise. They use full synthetic 5W-30 Mobil 1 and change the oil @ 5,000 miles. No issues and the highest mileage one is at 80K miles.

Port injected 1.4T: Need good oil changed regularly, the main things that were bad the first couple years and were fixed are the OLM calibration (10K on syn blend!), turbo oil feed line, bad batch of pistons. Things that, AFAIK, didn't get corrected and are still things to keep an eye out for on the newer ones: PCV valve, water outlet, water pump (there's an extended recall to 10 yr./150K?).

My '13 has 105K on it, Synpower @ 5K OCI most of the time, and the only one of those things it's needed is the water outlet which was 1/2 hour and like 1/2 gallon of Dexcool 50/50. Original battery, turbo, water pump, yada yada. The only thing I'm really just waiting to give up is the water pump.

I haven't paid a lot of attention to the 2nd Gen Cruze but from what I've picked up they don't have any big, chronic problems. I'm not itching to trade mine in because I'm not crazy about the potential long term maint. needs of a DI engine and IMHO the 1st Gens look way better.

A friend of mine has the 1.4t sonic in 2014 flavor. His is pretty modded and runs 14 flat in the 1/4. He runs Pennzoil platinum 5w30 and it seems to be fine. No excessive consumption to report. He did have the water pump replaced under warranty but otherwise, even cranked way up, it's been reliable for him.

The gen 2 had most of the bugs removed from the gen 1. Trifecta or bad news racing can delete the start stop with there tunes. Alot of people over at cruze talk use amsoil in the gen 2 to combat lspi. These cars make crazy good power for a 1.4l. I have a 2012 1.4 and im happy with it.

My 2014 Cruze Eco just hit 90,000 miles this week. I have had a clip come off the waste gate valve, which left me with no turbo for a week until the dealer could fix it. $3 clip plus labor. Dealer covered it since GM would not (GM says it is not part of the Turbo, which is still covered for 100k miles). Later they replaced the valve cover and PCV system under warranty, they noticed the front main seal was leaking and replaced that at the same time.

I use PP 5W-30 and follow the OLM. I changed it more regularly before this, but now run it to 0%. Typically 7,500 miles. I had a UOA done quite a while ago, 7-8000 miles was fine in my car. Best report of any car I've ever had. Low wear metals, no fuel dilution, good TBN. I could probably run it longer yet, but I'm still under warranty.

We have a 2015 Sonic LS 1.8l automatic . 40,000 + miles . Have been happy with it , so far .

Personally , I am not on the turbo band wagon . I am an old man & drive like one . Not interested in any power / torque gain from a turbo . Do not see the added complexity is justified by the potential slight gain in MPG's .

But , it is your money , do as you see fit . :)

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthr...Replacem#UNREAD

As always, turbo engines and turbochargers do very well on quality synthetic oils, changed at the severe service schedule. One can choose a conventional non synthetic oil and extend oil changes out to 10,000 miles and still get good UOA results. However, on conventional oil, don't be surprised when problems such as ring coking, turbo coking/failure and in some engines, balancer/timing chain failures result.

Oh, and a Sonic with a tune is a really fun car!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back