17’ Powerstroke oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Recently traded in my 13’ Duramax with 307,000 trouble free heavy hauling miles for a 17’ Powerstroke.From what I am reading in the owners manual I fall in Severe duty maintenance and am wondering what oil grade I should use that meets the ford WSS-M2C171-F1 oil spec? I use my truck strictly for hauling loads up to 28,000LBS plus pickup and cargo securement weight and 99.9 % highway miles.On my old DMAX I was using 15W40 at 8-9k intervals.

Originally Posted By: Redland1
Recently traded in my 13’ Duramax with 307,000 trouble free heavy hauling miles for a 17’ Powerstroke.From what I am reading in the owners manual I fall in Severe duty maintenance and am wondering what oil grade I should use that meets the ford WSS-M2C171-F1 oil spec? I use my truck strictly for hauling loads up to 28,000LBS plus pickup and cargo securement weight and 99.9 % highway miles.On my old DMAX I was using 15W40 at 8-9k intervals.

Deere Plus II 0w40 or Mobil 1 Delvac 5w40

Deere oil

You had excellent service from the GMC keep us well informed on the Ford.

The issue also is if you look for a 5W40 synthetic you should look for a CJ-4 rather than a CK-4.

I have been running Rotella T6 that is CJ-4 in my Powerstroke.

There are a lot of oils on that Ford spec approved list! If I had invested in a new Powerstroke that I was going tomuse for heavy hauling I'd go with the Lubrication Engineers Monolec Super Syn Heavy Duty Engine Oil 5w40. Probably the best, and most expensive, oil on the list.

I'm a Powerstoke driver myself (1996 7.3l) and I can't help but ask what it was that made you switch to Ford after the Duramax gwve you such good service? I like that Ford is making their own Diesel engines right here in the USA.

Pick up some Chevron Delo 400 LE 5W-40 CJ-4 at your local Wal-Mart. It is $19.97 a gallon. Unless you can find one of the approved CK-4 oils, Delo is good to go.

Originally Posted By: Langanobob

I'm a Powerstroke driver myself (1996 7.3l) and I can't help but ask what it was that made you switch to Ford after the Duramax gave you such good service?

35.gif
35.gif

Another long time PSD owner here wondering the same thing.
I'll add that Valvoline Premium Blue will give excellent results as well.
Just make sure for warranty that you use an oil from Ford's blessed list, and keep the receipts.
Don't give them any chances to deny anything.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: beanoil
Langanobob said:
I'm a Powerstroke driver myself (1996 7.3l) and I can't help but ask what it was that made you switch to Ford after the Duramax gave you such good service?

35.gif
35.gif

Just make sure for warranty that you use an oil from Ford's blessed list, and keep the receipts.

The Duramax exceeded my expectations as far as Durability,breakdowns, maintenance cost,and fuel mileage .Outside of regular maintenance the intake heater fried at 80,000 miles which I had replaced at the stealership and if I would have known at the time I would have just deleted it,and also at 146,000 miles the DEF tank heater took a [censored] and I just deleted it for a couple hundred more than the cost of tank replacement.The truck had a 40hp tow tune from 146k to 250k and then I dropped it to stock power.

Oil changes were done at 8k-9k with Rotella,Delo,Delvac,and later Phillips 66 fleet supreme.Fuel filters at 25-35,000 miles with ACDELCO fuel filters and a couple of times I used the Baldwin equivalent which I did not like because they plugged up much faster and one even left me on the side of the road, and also because the center gasket would stay attached to the filter head assembly on removal,made in China go figure.As far as the Allison I would change fluid and filter at 46k with Dexron VI.

As why I went to Ford it all came down to price.My first choice was the L5P Duramax but the lowest priced work truck with an enclosed bed not a flat bed was $55k.The XLT Super Duty with SXT package was $48900 with all the rebates Ford was having, and my very last option,like way down at the very bottom of the list was the RAM which was the same price as the SD so it was a no brainer.

Last edited:
Langanobob said:

35.gif
35.gif

The Duramax exceeded my expectations as far as Durability,breakdowns, maintenance cost,and fuel mileage .Outside of regular maintenance the intake heater fried at 80,000 miles which I had replaced at the stealership and if I would have known at the time I would have just deleted it,and also at 146,000 miles the DEF tank heater took a [censored] and I just deleted it for a couple hundred more than the cost of tank replacement.The truck had a 40hp tow tune from 146k to 250k and then I dropped it to stock power.

Oil changes were done at 8k-9k with Rotella,Delo,Delvac,and later Phillips 66 fleet supreme.Fuel filters at 25-35,000 miles with ACDELCO fuel filters and a couple of times I used the Baldwin equivalent which I did not like because they plugged up much faster and one even left me on the side of the road, and also because the center gasket would stay attached to the filter head assembly on removal,made in China go figure.As far as the Allison I would change fluid and filter at 46k with Dexron VI.

As why I went to Ford it all came down to price.My first choice was the L5P Duramax but the lowest priced work truck with an enclosed bed not a flat bed was $55k.The XLT Super Duty with SXT package was $48900 with all the rebates Ford was having, and my very last option,like way down at the very bottom of the list was the RAM which was the same price as the SD so it was a no brainer.

Huh. http://www.laurabuickgmc.com/VehicleDeta...e-IL/3054276043

Originally Posted By: leje0306
Langanobob said:

35.gif
35.gif

Huh. http://www.laurabuickgmc.com/VehicleDeta...e-IL/3054276043

I should have been more specific.Crew cab,long bed,DRW not SRW for hauling the weight I haul.

OP - I'd change fuel fulters on this one sooner than 25K. Powerstrokes are very sensitive to water in fuel. Probably their achilles heel. I do mine at 10-15K now.

Originally Posted By: claluja
OP - I'd change fuel fulters on this one sooner than 25K. Powerstrokes are very sensitive to water in fuel. Probably their achilles heel. I do mine at 10-15K now.
+1 - stay on top of draining the fuel filter bowl (not sure what the configuration is on the 2017+ models as there has been a "quiet" design change) and I recommend the use of Stanadyne, Diesel Kleen, Howe's or the like to help with water in the fuel. Ford will not honor your warranty if they discover water in the fuel system during a repair.

Originally Posted By: Langanobob
There are a lot of oils on that Ford spec approved list! If I had invested in a new Powerstroke that I was going tomuse for heavy hauling I'd go with the Lubrication Engineers Monolec Super Syn Heavy Duty Engine Oil 5w40. Probably the best, and most expensive, oil on the list.

I'm a Powerstoke driver myself (1996 7.3l) and I can't help but ask what it was that made you switch to Ford after the Duramax gwve you such good service? I like that Ford is making their own Diesel engines right here in the USA.

I am now a Cummins guy, 2011 Ram 3500 4x4 Laramie, no issues, great rig. I used to own a 2002 F350 4x4 with the 7.3, made for Ford by International. Great truck,great motor, ran like a top and easy to work on. I know the engines in the New Ford Trucks are made by Ford and are much different in many ways compared to my old 7.3. I mostly used the MC 15w40 oil, 5 quart jugs from WM with no issues. The MC oil was made for Ford by Conoco Phillips, I am guessing that is still true. There are many good oils available, I would say as long as it is Ford Approved and the correct oil is being used for climate temps, OCI's and the correct oil filter is used, you should be good. In my 2011 Ram, I run the Shell Rotella T6 5W40, another great oil.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 2015_PSD
Originally Posted By: claluja
+1 - stay on top of draining the fuel filter bowl (not sure what the configuration is on the 2017+ models as there has been a "quiet" design change) and I recommend the use of Stanadyne, Diesel Kleen, Howe's or the like to help with water in the fuel. Ford will not honor your warranty if they discover water in the fuel system during a repair.

Agree, monthly drains on the under truck filter tap,(or wherever it is on the 17), 10 k filter changes (for me on my 16), and a fuel add. Stanadyne drops water out of the fuel, there are others that encapsulate the water and drag it through the injectors. I am beginning to lean toward something that drops water out for this fuel system. My diesel guy thinks a FASS will be a quick, long term solution to the latest PSD design.

Last edited:
Stanadyne drops water out of the fuel, there are others that encapsulate the water and drag it through the injectors. I am beginning to lean toward something that drops water out for this fuel system. My diesel guy thinks a FASS will be a quick, long term solution to the latest PSD design.
I agree with your thoughts because encapsulation simply leads to "delayed" rust and a denial from Ford. I have had good luck with Stanadyne and I believe that Clarcor just bought them so hopefully a wider marketing space.

We had the CP4 issues on the LML duramax’s as well,but I don’t know if the filtration was better or that the Duramax CP4 was gear driven but I never did use any additives nor a lift pump.I even had a trip not long after I first purchased it where I was getting the water in fuel message and having to drain the water out of the filter 5 or six times during the trip.

Originally Posted By: mobilaltima
do you plan on deleting it? just curious

No not planning on it.Only way that it will happen is if an emission system part fails after the warranty period.And if I were to delete it it will be a stock power delete since these trucks have more than enough power.Even my Duramax had enough power to pull 28k effortlessly at Stock power and it didn’t have as much power as this one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back