Ea15k51 AMSOIL SS 0w-20 19k miles Ford Fusion Hybr

Status
Not open for further replies.
This was off a Ford Fusion Hybrid. Seems to me there is some sludge build up from what I can tell from the filter. Probably due to the engine not warming up being a hybrid???? It is a friends daughter that just graduated from college. She lost track of time and mileage until I asked about it. Should have been in a long time ago for an oil change. The second picture is with the Ea15k09. The Ea15k51 on top and 09 on bottom of picture. Here is Oil Analyzers comments:
Suggest monitoring the drain interval and equipment operating temperature. Base Number is SIGNIFICANTLY LOW. Lubricant's
ability to neutralize acids may be diminished. Silicon is at a MINOR LEVEL; SILICON sources can be abrasives (dirt, Alumina
Silica), seals and gasket material, lube additive or lube supplement, and/or environmental contaminant; Flagged additive levels
are lower than expected for the lubricant that is identified. (This does not imply that the lubricant does not meet proper API,
SAE or ISO classifications.). Viscosity is SLIGHTLY HIGH. Causes include contamination, oxidation, incorrectly identified viscosity
grade, or adding a different viscosity grade to the component. Lubricant and filter change acknowledged. Maintenance action
indicated at time of submission (fluid/filter change , filtration, etc.) will have corrected the issue this system is exhibiting. No
further maintenance action is recommended at this time.

Also TBN was at 2.14.

I'm just curious as to how long the oil was in the sump? It is obvious the lube was run too long, and she might have air filtration issues as well.

Sorry, forgot to put the oil used. It is AMSOIL SS 0w-20. Yeah, her air filter probably needs to be changed. From what I could tell it is located down in her fenderwell and you have to take out a bunch of stuff to get to it. It is a 2010 Fusion. Anyone know where the air filter is located? Looked to be a major PITA to change.

I see absolutely nothing wrong with the filter; nothing whatsoever. The Amsoil filter did it's job.

We've seen other filters with that kind of material before; this isn't new or unique to this application or duration. First of all, I'd not call that "sludge". "Sludge" to me is a deep, dark, gooey, thick, overtly-viscous mess. What we see here are small, brown, sparse collections of muck. Let's not over-dramatize the effect here. If you want to call this stuff in the photo "heavy varnish" I'd accept that. But not "sludge". Those of us who've seen real sludge know the difference. Additionally, that stuff is on the upstream side of the filter. We have no reason to suspect it got into the downstream side of the flow path. So let's not scream like a gaggle of nursery school girls at a little spot of dark material. Be realistic. It's not new; it's not unique. The filter apparently did it's job.

Side note ... I often marvel at how many folks will poo-poo and deride some filter brands for having a leaf-spring versus the more popular coil spring, but then when an Amsoil uses such a feature, no one says a peep about it ... I don't think either one really has any tangible, measurable benefit over the other. But I just note the irony of how some folks will decry certain brands for having a leaf spring, but they they are eerily silent when Amsoil filters are dissected.

The interval is one year or 15k. Maybe the one year needs to be in bold on the literature. Also severe service is not normal service. A lot of engines are going to be damaged with these good UP TO 20k's on boxes and all people read is 20K.

Filter looks great. Also it looks like the can has been open awhile, everything is dry....which could turn sludge to the dry flakes we're looking at.

Oil, especially with the stop/start/seldom gets warmed up of a hybrid should probably go a shorter interval; Analyzers comments that it had thickened supports this.

What was the calendar time for this OCI...do we even know? I'd say get this girl on an annual change and it should be good to go.

Originally Posted By: Kuato
Filter looks great. Also it looks like the can has been open awhile, everything is dry....which could turn sludge to the dry flakes we're looking at.

Oil, especially with the stop/start/seldom gets warmed up of a hybrid should probably go a shorter interval; Analyzers comments that it had thickened supports this.

What was the calendar time for this OCI...do we even know? I'd say get this girl on an annual change and it should be good to go.

This oil was in for 9 months.

Dnewton, love the post! LOL I am a little over 17k into an OCI on PUP 0W20 and an Amsoil EaO34 filter based partly on your comments about my previous UOA at 14k. I will be dropping it hopefully the end of this week if the weather is nice. I will probably also get the filter cut so we can all compare the EaO34 to the 15k51.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back