Arrested ER nurse gets $500k

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is she married?
grin.gif

Does that $500K come out of the officer's own money or is it paid out through tax dollars? Because if tax payers are having to pay for officers doing a bad job then the system is broken.

Originally Posted By: Reddy45
Does that $500K come out of the officer's own money or is it paid out through tax dollars? Because if tax payers are having to pay for officers doing a bad job then the system is broken.

Pull quote from the above linked article: "(Nurse) Alex Wubbels reached the monetary settlement with Salt Lake City and the University of Utah, her attorney said."

The system is broken. If (fired) Officer Jeff Payne and/or his commander James Tracy had to pay the monetary settlement, the THEY would have had to retain legal counsel and most certainly would have been mentioned by name.

As usual, John Q Taxpayer gets the short end of the stick. What would be delightful justice (but won't happen) is for Nurse Wubbels to use this settlement as evidence that her civil rights were violated and sue (former) officer Payne in civil court for $5 million. She should be rewarded his house and retirement pension and HE is qualified to work at McDonald's.

At least the world knows what scum he is.

With 500K greenbacks, I would be saying,,so long hospitals and be on a nice beach or something similar and let others kill themselves in the ratrace to the top...of course this is IMHO

Glad that the idjits got punished for overstepping their authority and bullying. Glad she got vindicated, and glad she got compensated.

All this Judge Dredd stuff has to stop.

Originally Posted By: CourierDriver
With 500K greenbacks...
Minus the inevitable 40-45% that goes to the lawyers.

Originally Posted By: 2015_PSD
With 500K greenbacks...

That's what I was also thinking.

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
With 500K greenbacks...

Wouldn't she get legal fees on top of that because she wasn't found at fault?

Originally Posted By: StevieC
Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
With 500K greenbacks...

Wouldn't she get legal fees on top of that because she wasn't found at fault?

It was a settlement for $500K, all in, not a court award.

If the court had awarded her $500K for damages due to the negligence of the other parties, some reimbursement of legal fees might apply, depending on the jurisdiction.

Originally Posted By: Reddy45

I think you know the answer to that. Taxpayer pays doubly for this incompetent [censored]

With 500K greenbacks, I would be saying,,so long hospitals and be on a nice beach or something similar and let others kill themselves in the ratrace to the top...of course this is IMHO

Yea..for a year maybe after lawyers and taxes. And if she quits..no health insurance. Hopefully she buys a nice vehicle and puts the rest towards retirement. As an ER nurse in a University Hospital she is making some nice coin.

This does show that she was not greedy!

Last edited by a moderator:

I would put the 500k away for retirement, she should continue to work where she is. She would be almost untouchable at her current job. If she leaves, she may not be very marketable, just because of the publicity. Other health systems may not take a chance on hiring her.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back