Denso first time fit comments?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oil change time in the 1 liter Fiesta again. Can't leave the shop so I have my friends at the import house running my supplies by. Practically stole 5 quarts of Eneos 5W20 and one of the Denso oil filters - how well suited will the Denso be with a top tier synthetic, and is it capable of a 7k run?

7000 miles should be no problem - it's a *good* (well-made) filter, it just doesn't have really high efficiency numbers.

They are just cheap economy filters. I would not run one for 7k. You are much better off with a Motorcraft Filter.

The Denso FTF used to be a solid looking silicone adbv filter made in US. More recently FTF anecdotes show it to be a made in China filter using a nitrile adbv. Had some pics of the newer ones posted here, but Photobucket wiped them out. Guess there's an extension to some browsers to perhaps see them.

Anyway, in short not what they used to be.

The "First Time Fit" idea seems to be no joke, at least for me. I have them on both my '95 Dodge Dakota (220K miles) and '02 Camry (265K miles), and they seem to work fine. On the Camry, in particular, I've sometimes had a bit of an issue getting others filters' (Mann, Pure 1, Fram, etc.) threads to engage the threads of the oil filter adapter. No such problem with the Denso filter that's on it now--it was, indeed, a first-time fit. At Rockauto's price ($3.75), I'll keep using them as a no-added-shipping-cost "box filler" when I'm buying other parts.

If it's the black new one or the old blue one they are high quality filters. You won't go wrong using either type. There is no efficiency test data on them, have to go by the reputation of Denso. The new black ones claim two ply media.

Looks like I got a hold of one of the old Blue filters. Feels very solid. I just didn't have time to run to wally world and pick up a Fram gold. Don't feel like I got a bad deal for $30 bucks. We'll see how she goes and I'll cut it open after the run

Wish I could find a case of the blue Denso oil filter #150-1002 that were made in Thailand. Well made, quality oil filter. The Denso oil filters coming out to China are probably adequate. Efficiency may be better than the Thailand filter.

Originally Posted By: HosteenJorje
Wish I could find a case of the blue Denso oil filter #150-1002 that were made in Thailand. Well made, quality oil filter. The Denso oil filters coming out to China are probably adequate. Efficiency may be better than the Thailand filter.

That's the one I have. It feels solid as a rock

Originally Posted By: Pepsibottle1
Originally Posted By: HosteenJorje

That's the one I have. It feels solid as a rock

Only your UOA will tell you.

In my experience, Denso makes quality products. I would not hesitate to run a Denso FTF oil filter for 7,000 miles (or longer) EXCEPT unless you drive in severe service conditions.

A couple years ago I accidentally left a Denso FTF oil filter on my Tacoma 4-cylinder during a regular service (did not change it out). In the end, the filter went 11,000 miles and there were no issues, everything worked great and I could tell no difference.

Go for it.

I have run two different sizes of the Chinese made DENSO's and found them to be of decent quality. Even with moving production to China, I feel DENSO still ensures a quality product.

I'll add I like the 'looks' of the Thai made FTF, not as enamored with the newer made in China ones with nitrile adbv. I say that it's nitrile because I've never seen any 'authoritative' information stating/showing a black adbv to be of anything other than nitrile. Also according to information by Hootbro in this thread

I thought that some of previous FTF filters with silicone adbvs used to be made in the US too.

The Thia FTF Denso OFs have been posted here before including the linked one below. I find some of the comments there about the newer China made Denso FTF ironic in light of comments about it here. But bottom line, everyone should use what they like and makes them happy. I do.

Thia Denso 150-1001 FTF spin on.

As much as I love Denso products, it's funny they put their "first time fit" marketing on an oil filter.. Lol.

Any product made in China is dependent on the company ensuring quality control throughout the manufacturing process. I’m sure Denso has such a program in place as do most Japanese companies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back