2012 Cruze 1.4T Turbo Replacement

Status
Not open for further replies.
We have a 2012 Cruze 1.4T that is coming in for a turbo replacement. Due to mileage, the car is just outside of the 5/100 powertrain warranty.

We plan to replace the turbocharger, oil feed line, oil return line, all 6 cooling system pipe seals and the seal between the turbo and the catalytic converter with dealer parts. In accordance with GM TSB #PIP5495B (dated 6/14/17), we will also be reflashing the ECM with the latest software calibration for improved turbocharger cooling.

I have been advised that the coolant expansion tank, coolant expansion tank hose and water outlet flange are common weak points and replacement should be considered on a preventative basis. It appears that there are updated parts available from GM. I will try to get approval from the customer to replace those items while the cooling system is drained.

Are there any other items related to the turbocharger or the engine cooling system that you folks would advise replacing while we have the vehicle apart?

Thanks.

Wow, what will the repair bill be on that with and without the preventative items? My good friend is looking to buy one of those, a 2012 Cruze LT, one owner with 53k miles. All dealer oil changes.

This is what bugs me about OEMs. They don't long-haul test things before releasing them and use the general public as the guinea pigs and then they wonder why people are slow to adopt new technology.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: StevieC
This is what bugs me about OEMs. They don't long-haul test things before releasing them and use the general public as the guinea pigs and then they wonder why people are slow to adopt new technology.

no.....this is what's wrong with GM...

Have a battery charger hooked up to the car while your doing the reflash. I'm a mechanic and have seen a ECM bricked because the mech tried doing a firmware update on a car that had an undercharged battery.

How many Miles are on this Cruze?

I think what damages turbo's are maintenance schedules. Manufactures want to stretch oil change intervals as much as they can to save on maintenance costs but in the end this type of [censored] happens.

Either this car had a bum turbo, or they did 10k oil change intervals and it took this long to fry it.

Use Synthetic Oil, change every 5k miles and this would not have happend.

Seems like you have everything in order. Just make sure all new washers are used, I have seen re using the original ones caused oil leaks. Make sure all washers are new and torqued properly.

Good Luck with the job, maybe a good time to mod that turbo?? mmmmm

Jeff

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
I'm curious to as what this will cost? Keep us updated!

Skyactive

Good Taste in cars you have there
01.gif

Your wife drives a stick?? NOW THAT IS AWESOME!!!

Sorry OP just a quick hellp to a fellow VW owner
32.gif

Jeff

Quote:
Are there any other items related to the turbocharger or the engine cooling system that you folks would advise replacing while we have the vehicle apart?

Yes, the oil.

GM Australia say to run a high HTHS Dexos2 oil in these highly stressed turbo engines. Typically a full synthetic 5W40 that is both Dexos2 (the diesel spec oil, not to be confused with Dexos Gen2) and ACEA C3.

I spoke to an oil tech about this and they basically said with a turbo cruze in Australia the dexos1 oil will not meet your GM Australia warranty and that it must be a Dexos2 oil.

Originally Posted By: philipp10

no.....this is what's wrong with GM...

You are an anti GM troll. One post about a turbo replacement and you bash a whole company. I have the same car and it has been a solid reliable car since the day I bought it.

Seems to me with a TSB to update turbo cooling, GM is admitting their software was incorrect....and should therefore be paying for at least part of your turbo.

Have a battery charger hooked up to the car while your doing the reflash. I'm a mechanic and have seen a ECM bricked because the mech tried doing a firmware update on a car that had an undercharged battery.

Agreed. We connect a Schumacher INC-700A whenever we perform a reflash. The INC-700A has a flash reprogram mode that allows us to set the specific battery voltage.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
Wow, what will the repair bill be on that with and without the preventative items?

I'm curious to as what this will cost? Keep us updated!

MSRP for the turbocharger, oil lines, all seals/gaskets and coolant was $825. The labor time is 3.2 hours.

Water pump is a known issue...

Make sure you use 5W-30 oil, too thick and the turbo does not get enough.

I would use a quart of Mobil 1 Advanced Fuel Economy in 0W-30, really thin -30...

Make sure you idle for 30 seconds before shutting off the engine, cool the turbo down...

I put 225/55R17 tires on, slightly larger...

Last edited:
The coolant outlet and steam hose running from it to the expansion tank are both good ideas. I would do the actual thermostat as well. It'll be easy with the turbo off

Maybe 2nd tier OEMs but the big guys (GM, Ford, Toyota) do long haul tests. Sometimes things slip by and bad parts get out there.

I've got one of the original Ecoboost 3.5s and with 119k on it no turbo or any other issues really. It runs great and should still last a good long while.
I've also got another one of them and at 83k it also runs great with no issues.

I'm sure there are plenty of other turbo GM engines also leading long productive lives.

It's a lot less than the $4k my parents spent replacing Japanese transmissions that died at 80k. 2001 TL and 2005 Maxima...they only had 5 gears! They'd be thrilled to only spend $1500 at 100k+

Originally Posted By: dishdude
It's a lot less than the $4k my parents spent replacing Japanese transmissions that died at 80k. 2001 TL and 2005 Maxima...they only had 5 gears! They'd be thrilled to only spend $1500 at 100k+

Funny, you mentioned the two least reliable transmissions to ever come out of Japan. Rare miss for them.

Those early Honda 5-speeds really were awful. They just couldn't handle the power and RPM of the J series. Luckily they got much better later.

These Cruze's are going to start being like mid-80's Dodge cars with the various turbo's - the 2.2 and 2.5 that were in Omni's, Shelby's..etc..great performance, but no long-term reliability on turbo components.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back