I used an ACEA C3 oil in an A1/B1 application

Status
Not open for further replies.
My Toyota has a 1NZ-FE engine.

Previously, I have read on here to use A1/B1 or A3/B3 oils in this engine - which was good advice that I followed.

Last month, whilst on autopilot, I trusted the parts store catalogue which recommended a Shell ACEA C3 oil for my vehicle. I think this is for diesels with/without a DPF. (The Shell labelling isn't that clear, and in the past, I used Shell oil which was A1/B1 rated and the labels look almost exactly the same)

Obviously, this isn't correct. Should I do another oil change or wait the 6,000 miles that I normally do?
Should I be trying to flush every last drop out or just a quick drain and refill?
Will this cause long-term damage?

Also, the oil I would be getting says both A1/B1 and A5/B5 on it. I think this is OK for my engine, any opinions on this?

Thanks, as always, looking forward to some good replies.

What exactly does your owner's manual specify for the oil? Is it SM? If so, that Shell C3 oil is likely dual rated for SN and you would be good to go.

Either way your engine isn't going to be damaged by the oil you're now using.

Originally Posted By: geetar
My Toyota has a 1NZ-FE engine.

Previously, I have read on here to use A1/B1 or A3/B3 oils in this engine - which was good advice that I followed.

Last month, whilst on autopilot, I trusted the parts store catalogue which recommended a Shell ACEA C3 oil for my vehicle. I think this is for diesels with/without a DPF. (The Shell labelling isn't that clear, and in the past, I used Shell oil which was A1/B1 rated and the labels look almost exactly the same)

Obviously, this isn't correct. Should I do another oil change or wait the 6,000 miles that I normally do?
Should I be trying to flush every last drop out or just a quick drain and refill?
Will this cause long-term damage?

Also, the oil I would be getting says both A1/B1 and A5/B5 on it. I think this is OK for my engine, any opinions on this?

Thanks, as always, looking forward to some good replies.

C3 IS for gasoline , other than diesels with DPF.
It would be fine in 1NZ-FE, which recommends SN/SM in the tropics here.

Edit: I have 'seen' C3 Blotter spot test pictures doing well in Asian engines calling for SN/SM.

Last edited:
If you got mental stress from all those abbreviations and were reaching for your stress meds, here you go..................

ACEA A1/B1 Engine Oil
Purchase ACEA A1/B1 Extended Service Car Engine Oil

Looking for an ACEA A1/B1 Low Friction, High Temperature / Sheer Stable Car Engine Oils? Then you've come to the right place, we've got a great range all at great Opie Prices

ACEA A1 / B1 specification is intended to be used in petrol engines (normally cars and vans) or light-duty diesel engines with an extended service interval. The A1 / B1 specification directly indicates that the oil has low friction, high temperature / high shear characteristics, ideal for the older type engines.

Need Engine Oil / Oil & Filter to service? Why not use our online product lookup.

If you're unsure what ACEA spec is correct for your application or have a modified or unique Vehicle why not ask the Opie Experts for a Custom recommendation.

Originally Posted By: kschachn
What exactly does your owner's manual specify for the oil? Is it SM? If so, that Shell C3 oil is likely dual rated for SN and you would be good to go.

Either way your engine isn't going to be damaged by the oil you're now using.

Actually, it specifies a bunch of stuff that seems to be aimed at the American market. None of the oils in UK parts stores have any of the things the owner's manual says, I was going off the ACEA A1/B1 recommendation from another post I made on this forum a few years ago.

Here's what the manual says for gasoline engines:

API grade SJ "Energy-Conserving", SL "Energy-Conserving" or ILSAC multi-grade engine oil.
API Service SL SAE 10W-30 Energy Conserving.

They don't mean much to me, I've always used ACEA A1/B1 5W-30 as its impossible to find 10W-30 or anything mentioning API or SAE in the UK.
Not sure why the American stuff is mentioned in a European delivered car which was made in Japan - but yeah...

My understanding is the ACEA C spec is for diesel engines with low SAPS - that's my only concern.

C is also for gasoline engines, as I think you already understand.

So it says SJ or SL, and (if that is what you have) Shell Helix is ISLAC rated (SN? SJ?). It will be fine, certainly no need to "be trying to flush every last drop out" nor will it "cause long-term damage."

The 1NZ-FE is not hard on oil like some other Toyota engines. The grade designation (5W or 10W) would be irrelevant in your location.

Originally Posted By: geetar
Not sure why the American stuff is mentioned in a European delivered car which was made in Japan - but yeah...

It doesn't really matter, many Euro oils also list ISLAC specifications. Besides that is a global engine made for many markets. Should I be upset when my US-version BMW manual lists an ACEA specification?

That C3 is fine, leave it in there, it's basically a mid-SAPS A3/B3 oil. Also probably API SN rated. Fine for your car, most of Europe is moving from high-SAPS A3/B3/B4 to mid-SAPS C3 due to the high quality of your fuel.

BTW A1/B1 and A5/B5 are very similar, with the A5/B5 being a bit better. The most recent ACEA sequences have removed A1/B1 anyway, soon only A5/B5 will be around.

Toyota UK Okay'ed the use of Mobil 1 mid saps in my old Corolla with a 1ZZ-FE 1.8 engine, where A1/B1 was the recommended fill. You could always contact them from their toyota.co.uk website to clarify.
A5/B5 is a longer life version of A1/B1 and fully compatible, so no worries about both being labelled.

Toyota manual is really vague, but I think that is because their city/regular car engines can run quite a wide range of oils without issue.

I don't think you can have an A1/B1 oil that meets A3/B3.

I always thought C1 was the Low SAPS equivalent of A1/B1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back