Have cell phones finally broke the bank?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cell phones have now hit the $1,000 mark. Is this finally the breaking point?

There is no way I am paying 1,000 for a phone!

Doesn't bother me. Manufacturers can ask anything they want for their phones. And buyers can keep their money. It's not like one HAS to spend $1000.

I'll keep my $$$...might even go back to a flip-phone because of all the garbage that comes up on a smart phone.

I don't know that I will pay that much. I keep thinking about going to a flip phone myself because I just can't justify the cost of my smartphone, but it makes life so easy in some regards.

My spouse got a Samsung Galaxy Note 8.

For me I got a free Android Motorola Moto G4+ and it's awesome. Big screen, fast, and great battery life. Screw Apple and Samsung. It does what I need it to do and the price at $0 was right.

When a Laptop with better specs costs less you know there is a problem.
wink.gif

Saab and Volvo made basic cars people could afford.
Saab and Volvo abandoned their basic cars 'cause they made more money building expensive ones.

Phone makers made basic phones people could afford.
Some will abandon their basic phones 'cause they'll make more money building expensive ones.

"But what does this have to do with oil?" (an homage, not a mock)

Free market at work. You can still get decent smart phones for "free". The LG K20 V is "free" per month. The iPhone X is $41.66 a month. Ain't capitalism grand?

Originally Posted By: StevieC

For me I got a free Android Motorola Moto G4+ and it's awesome. Big screen, fast, and great battery life. Screw Apple and Samsung. It does what I need it to do and the price at $0 was right.

wink.gif

You can't put a laptop in your pocket.

$1000 for an iPhone, LOL. Apple will sell plenty, but they won't be selling me one for a grand.

Originally Posted By: Kira

It doesn't. That is why it is in the off Topic area.
It appears many if not most Bitog members don't like spending lots of cash on cars. I wondered if that also pertained to cell phones.

iPhone 7 here, I cant use all the stuff it does, the wife made us get them, she is the cellphone guru here, remember if the wife ain't happy, my life is gonna get reallllllllll bad...lol

Originally Posted By: Leo99
Originally Posted By: StevieC

wink.gif

You can't put a laptop in your pocket.

You are missing the point...
wink.gif

I'm sure they will sell plenty.

My net cost to upgrade from my nexus 5x to a samsung galaxy s8 was under $250.

Well worth it.. even though its about as flimsy as a wet piece of scott tissue.

Paid 506 with the gear 360 cam.. sold the gear 360 cam for $120
Sold the nexus 5x for $140
=246-25(5%cashback on 506)
=$221

Really love everything about the phone except its extreme fragility. Already shattered it once.. luckily the CC insurance(free) covered the $208 repair.
Note: I had never damaged a phone by dropping ever before...

My temp phone the galaxy sol 2.. cost $60 and its an incredible value under $100 IMO.

Not really a samsung fanboy but they do have some nice stuff.

If idiots are willing to pay for the latest and greatest, sure why not.

I have an iPhone for work but I won't spend more than $200 if it were my personal phone.

I think the only reason they have gotten away with it so far is because so many are living on credit anyway what's another $1,000. They don't fear the day they have to pay the piper.
wink.gif

Saab and Volvo abandoned their basic cars 'cause they made more money building expensive ones.

Some will abandon their basic phones 'cause they'll make more money building expensive ones.

I'm not sure that's totally true. I think most of their limitations were on technology available at the time.
If Saab and Volvo (and BMW, and MB etc) had all this technology in the 70s and 80s, I'm pretty sure we'd all want it, and they'd be more than happy to build it.

Originally Posted By: Lolvoguy

I'm not sure that's totally true. I think most of their limitations were on technology available at the time.
If Saab and Volvo (and BMW, and MB etc) had all this technology in the 70s and 80s, I'm pretty sure we'd all want it, and they'd be more than happy to build it.

Look at how advanced C.I.S. mechanical fuel injection by Bosch was at the time and they used this system on some of their models.

This is unsurprising even if hard to believe.
For a lot of hip urbanites, especially younger ones, an expensive new handset is the status symbol of choice.
A cool phone is a way of trying to tell the world that you're hip and prosperous, even if you still live in mom's basement.
A hip new phone is also a lot cheaper than any sort of new car or even a running used one, even if it is also a whole lot less useful.
Status in a car requires at least an old BMW or Benz, which will run you some multiple of a grand and will also require possibly costly repairs and maintenance, which young folks don't seem too much inclined to DIY.
Status in a phone requires only a grand and will require nothing in the way of maintenance or repair unless you drop it on a hard surface and shatter the screen.
I've seen a few young and probably impecunious folks do this with expensive handsets and I cringed for them.
Those who want to advertise to the world at large that they have a 1K phone should do so, secure in the knowledge that all of those potential thieves are well aware of its value, like addicts in need of a fix and lacking the technical ability to steal a car who will think nothing of knocking you down and grabbing your phone and then running off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back