MaxLife ATF impressions after a few thousand miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
I tried MaxLife in my Hondas for the first time via a single D&F (outgoing fluid was DW-1). These are my impressions after a few thousand miles:

Accord Pros:

- DW-1 didn't like to upshift into 2nd gear when I crawled through my neighborhood in the morning (possibly to protect the cold tranny?). MaxLife goes into 2nd easier, but shifts firmer.
- Snappier shifts compared to DW-1. This is most noticeable when pulling out into traffic and quickly getting up to speed.

Cons:

- At highway speeds, there's a slight clunk when letting off the gas. This didn't happen with DW-1.
- When shifting from Park to Drive first thing in the morning, there's a brief jerk. This doesn't happen the rest of the day.

Pilot Pros:

- Snappy highway shifting when warmed up.
- No difference in P-R-D-L engagements compared to DW-1.

Cons:

- Shifts are a bit too firm and jerky when cold. This is especially noticeable after a cold start and only driving around town at 30-40 mph.

In conclusion, MaxLife has different characteristics than DW-1, some better, some worse. I'm going to stick with it until my usual 15-20k miles D&F interval's up. After that, I will probably return to DW-1. And this isn't my first experience with MaxLife ATF; I've been running it in my I35 for a few years now with no complaints. That car specs Nissan Matic-D, which is basically Dex III. I really like how MaxLife performs in that car. The shift quality is many times better than the OEM fluid.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: mclasser
At highway speeds, there's a slight clunk when letting off the gas. This didn't happen with DW-1.

I'm curious about this one from any transmission 'experts'. When you let off the gas, at highway speeds, I'm not sure why the transmission would do anything. It's not immediately downshifting .... or is it dropping out of overdrive maybe ?

Originally Posted By: hallstevenson
At highway speeds, there's a slight clunk when letting off the gas. This didn't happen with DW-1.

I'm curious about this one from any transmission 'experts'. When you let off the gas, at highway speeds, I'm not sure why the transmission would do anything. It's not immediately downshifting .... or is it dropping out of overdrive maybe ?

At highway speed the torque converter should be locked, I would say it's normal to get a clunk (like on a manual tranny). The Corolla doesn't seem to have this clunk though, while the Maxima, and a 99 Taurus I used to have do/did. FYI, I use the Maxlife in the Maxima.

Last edited:
I've been using ML in two Hondas specing Z1 since it was superseded by DW1. One a 3.0L V6, one an 01 Civic with original trans. Never tried DW1 and no intention to. IME ML has worked well with single d&f's 25-30k miles and I've found no reason to change.

But anecdotal experiences can vary. Thanks for the review.

Castrol's ATF is very good in Hondas! You just missed AAP's Castrol ATF sale 2 for $11, but they run it a few times a year.

Castrol Full Synthetic ATF is very good stuff
smile.gif

I stashed 12 gallons of MaxLife LV because it jibed with JWS3309 + T-IV and I knew I would need it.
One balky Volvo transmission improved with MLLV carrying LubeGard (red) over 120K.
One NEGLECTED Saab 9-3 shifted perfectly as MLLV displaced the brown mud it had over 4 drain & fills.
Another Volvo Aisin-Warner unit has been hiccough-free over 10K as the fluid has been refreshed with MLLV (3 D&F's)

I have no complaint.

Previous post reported mixed changes and he said he'd go back to DW-1 Honda. I suggest not waiting 'til the next D&F. Effect the change now and see if it reads.

NOTE: Both Hondas in my life have seen nothing but Honda juice under my hand. Too many posters here said "Honda only".

The regular synthetic fluids are low viscosity. Exception is Mobil 1 that has proper viscosity numbers.
I tend to stick with the OEM numbers, so I use Castrol in all my cars (Import Multivehicle or Mercon V, as required).

Last edited:
I had this clunk with the ATF+4 Chrysler OE fill in my Journey and when I switched over to Amsoil ATF it went away. I'm not advocating for Amsoil ATF, what I'm saying is I think Tranmissions are temperamental with minor pressure changes created by different fluid characteristics and as such one might cause more solid engagements versus another. It won't harm anything at all over the long run so long as the clunk is minor.

OP - What mileage did you start the D&F?

We did the first D&F in our 2012 Civic around 30K IIRC. Since then, I have done three additional D&F's and we are at 141K now. I have not noticed anything different at all. The car has always shifted like new and zero issues. FWIW, I also toss in a couple ounces of LG red at the same time.

Originally Posted By: sw99
OP - What mileage did you start the D&F?

Been about 4k miles on the Pilot and 2k on the Accord.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: zorobabel
Originally Posted By: hallstevenson

At highway speed the torque converter should be locked, I would say it's normal to get a clunk (like on a manual tranny). The Corolla doesn't seem to have this clunk though, while the Maxima, and a 99 Taurus I used to have do/did. FYI, I use the Maxlife in the Maxima.

Many vehicles actually unlock the converter as soon as you go to zero throttle. Then lock up again when you throttle up. If you have a Rev gauge and the RPMs drop 300-500 when you let off the throttle, its unlocking the converter. A locked converter would keep the engine running at the same speed you cruise at, only dropping as the vehicles slows.

Depending on many circumstances, of which one is fluid, these constant lock/unlock can be felt and annoying.

On my Fords I program it out, letting it stay locked for about 10 seconds after 0 throttle.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
Castrol's ATF is very good in Hondas! You just missed AAP's Castrol ATF sale 2 for $11, but they run it a few times a year.

smile.gif

I too had hopes for Castro synth ATF [for Asian imports]... unfortunately my trans on my 02 Acura TL was SCREAMING with Castrol ATF...
I couldnt get it out fast enough..
I guess this a best example of YMMV...
my 2c
J.

My cars are old, but well cared for and in great shape. Have done two drain and fills (so far) in each with Maxlife (don't know what fluid came out). The Acura seems to have improved. Quieter (less clunky) engagement into and out of drive, and smoother shifting.

The Honda was quiet and smooth before the changes, and still is. Fluid that was replaced in both cars looked red and like new. Just my 2¢.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 2K2AcuraTL
Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog

smile.gif

I too had hopes for Castro synth ATF [for Asian imports]... unfortunately my trans on my 02 Acura TL was SCREAMING with Castrol ATF...
I couldnt get it out fast enough..
I guess this a best example of YMMV...
my 2c
J.

Castrol's Full Synthetic ATF is not the same as Castrol's Import Multi Vehicle

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back