How many times do you get dress shoes resoled?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a pair of Alden loafers (model 683 if anyone's curious) that I was looking at the other day...my local cobbler date-stamps the soles when he replaces them, so people don't come back later and say they wore out too quickly. At any rate, these were resoled and heeled in July 2013 and they are going strong.

It got me thinking about how many resoles I get out of shoes...generally I wear out heels at a 2-1 rate over leather soles and get one, maybe 2 resolings out of a pair of shoes before the heel counters are broken down or the upper & lining split. I buy Alden or Allen Edmonds generally, spend $300-600 up front but get a LOT of use out of them. Local cobblers charge around $50 for full soles and heels.

My oldest shoes have been in my rotation for nearly 20 years and they are supremely comfortable but getting close to the end of their service life. It dawned on me that some things I own now may very well become part of the load that St Vincent de Paul picks up after I die...

Anyway, how many resoles have other forum members had done on a pair of shoes, or boots for that matter?

I'm pretty new to the BIFL shoe department, so I haven't yet needed to re-sole any of my shoes yet. I have a pair of AE Dalton boots that are the closest to needing a re-sole at about 5 years old. I don't wear them terribly often though, and will likely go another 3-4 years before I do anything.

My understanding though, is that it depends greatly on how the resole was performed (plus the obvious condition of the upper). I remember reading about how a resole may use a machine to stitch, then all the new holes from the stitches wear out the welt, while a slower (more expensive) resole might be done by hand reusing the old holes, allowing for many more resoles.

Anyway, I'll be interested in seeing the other replies!

3 times and when I went to the shoe repair (shoesmith?) the fourth time the owner said don't bother because some of the stitching can not be redone due to the leather being too worn.

I wear mostly Johnston Murpheys and haven't worn any out yet. If I did, I'd probably just get a new pair as styles would have changed by then.

Sperrys I wear the soles out every maybe 3-5 years, I just get a new pair then too. Keep the old ones as work shoes.

Originally Posted By: StevieC
Never... I buy new ones. LOL
10-4 on that.. IN the 50s and part of the 60s we had a shoe cobbler in town,,he was busy,,but plastic shoes and cheap stuff from overseas ,,,killed him off.. I just buy a new pair, but now days I do not live the lifestyle of dress shoes for everday life,,,retired and tennis shoes,,,,,lol

Originally Posted By: toby7878
what does this have to do with oil

It's certainly appropriate for the "off-topic" section!

My admiration goes to the original poster for an uncommon earth-friendly lifestyle choice. Where I live far too many people think that being green is racing to fill up the recycling bin first. They'll berate you for wearing leather shoes, while buying and discarding a dozen pairs of trendy footwear a year.

I've only had one pair of my Allen Edmonds resoled. It was the first pair I bought (black Park Avenue) and I wore them everyday for a few years. Now I have enough of a rotation of different pairs that it will be a while before I need any of them resoled.

Never. I've yet to come close to wearing out any of them. Must have 4 pairs or so going back 25 yrs. Most of them are essentially new. They won't need resoling for another 200 yrs.

Originally Posted By: toby7878
what does this have to do with oil

The fact that you read it indicates that it is interesting to forum members.

I generally resole shoes about 3 times. I now have 6 pair of leather-soled shoes, which I used to wear in rotation. I never wore the same pair 2 days in a row and used wooden shoe trees to keep them dry and in shape. I don't wear these shoes as much since I "retired". They were in the $250 - 275 range (though I haven't bought any in some time).

I threw out the shoes used for obstetrics. Anyone who has ever attended a delivery will know why. Shoes would work their way down the list and finish life as designated obstetrical shoes. I carried around the designated pair (in a bag) in the trunk.

I have one pair that had to have a major repair (a good name brand, where the upper separated from the sole on one shoe). I had a lot of trouble finding a cobbler who could repair them. The repair works well but is kind of ugly on close inspection. I've resoled them once but won't resole them again. I generally wore that pair on wet or snowy days.

My oldest pair was bought in Exeter, England in 1985. They're still going strong.

+1 I wear dress shoes for work and find myself being too cheap to buy good shoes. I destroy shoes typically, cheaper to just buy a new pair

I can see the economics of getting some decent dress shoes, but most of my jobs have only needed office casual foot wear. I did wear out a few soles walking to work, but $100 shoes on sale is all I ever bought. My favorite right now is semi dressy ankle height steel toes which seem to work for everywhere I go, and for any weather. The soles don't wear out very quickly in office use and when they look a bit ratty I just use them at home.

Originally Posted By: CourierDriver
10-4 on that.. IN the 50s and part of the 60s we had a shoe cobbler in town,,he was busy,,but plastic shoes and cheap stuff from overseas ,,,killed him off.. I just buy a new pair, but now days I do not live the lifestyle of dress shoes for everday life,,,retired and tennis shoes,,,,,lol
I loved the smell of the shoe repair shops when was a kid

I've been retired for 12 years and almost never wear dress shoes now, but I still have my favorite pair: cordovan Alden straight tip bal. They're 30 years old and are the most comfortable dress shoes I ever owned. Had them resoled twice and reheeled four times. Great shoes, but I wouldn't pay their current prices of $400+ a pair.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back