TG3600 vs Wix 51516 ADBV

Status
Not open for further replies.
Getting ready to do an oil change in my Liberty. Last OCI I used a Fram TG3600 and noticed that I rarely got startup rattle. This OCI, Walmart was out of the TG3600 so I got a Wix 51516 instead and it seems to have more startup rattle. Am I just imagining it or could the Fram have a better designed ADBV for this application?
You can see the oil filter placement here...
37.jpg

Thanks!

The Wix 51516 has the silicone anti-drainback valve in it, supposed to be the best one. I have used NAPA 1516(Wix 51516) on my Ranger 2.3 with no noise. Will be using FRAM XG3600 next OCI. From what I've read on here, some oil filter's do better on different engines.
21.gif

Both times I used Maxlife 5w30 and next change will be with Pennzoil HM.

Timing wise, the TG was ran from December 2016-June 2017, then the Wix has been on there since then. So the Fram had seen way colder temps.

Switch back and forth a few times and see if you get consistent results. If so, stick with the Fram for your application. That said, Wix is generally the better filter so I would be surprised if that was really the case. Perhaps try something other than Fram, too...

Last edited:
Before the Fram I ran Purolators (it was before I read about them) and they always rattled.

I have observed startup rattle due to the following filters: WIX 51372, Purolator PL24651, Champ Labs PH820. The startup rattle became noticeable at roughly 1500-2000 miles on the PL24651 and the PH820. Oil was MC Premium Blend 5W30 or Valvoline Maxlife 5W30. No cuts or issues with the ADBV that I could see. The PH820 were Rock Auto closeouts so were rather old.

I have not observed startup rattle on the following: Fram TG2, AC Delco PF1250.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back