2006 1zz matrix valve tapping noise when cold

Status
Not open for further replies.
Now that the weather has changed, the common 1zz valve tapping sound has come back in the matrix. Basically when the outside temp is below 45 or so, the engine makes a tapping sound when accelerating until the engine warms up. This does not happen when it's warm outside no matter how long the car sits.

The car burns zero oil between 5k mile changes with 5w30 MaxLife red bottle. Not even a drop of usage.

Is this an oiling issue? Would moving to a thinner oil help? Car is back specified for 0w30 and 0w20 in addition to the standard recommended 5w30.

I've noticed that as well. I need to have a bunch of preventative maintenance done. Hopefully, something will change it. Seems to go away quickly as in a few minutes. I don't warm the vehicle at all in the morning. Good to hear I'm not the only one with the issue.
smile.gif

Castrol Magnatec is supposed to help quiet noisy engines so who knows if that would help.

Nope. Wont make a difference but these engines go forever so its no big deal. I find my 1ZZFE runs best on Pennz Ultra 0w20 or M1 AFE 0w20. It ran well on Pennz ultra 0w40 also. I just go easy on the car when its cold slow accel etc. That makes the biggest difference. Regardless, like I said no harm to worry about.
smile.gif

What do you have to lose choosing a 0W20 & giving it a shot? My recommendation would be Pennzoil Platinum High Mileage 0W20. Pair that with a Fram Ultra & "no worries!!!"
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: thorromig
What do you have to lose choosing a 0W20 & giving it a shot? My recommendation would be Pennzoil Platinum High Mileage 0W20. Pair that with a Fram Ultra & "no worries!!!"
wink.gif

I’d try QSUD 0w20 myself; but I have like 20+ quarts of it I SCORED from AAP
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: TinyVoices
Now that the weather has changed, the common 1zz valve tapping sound has come back in the matrix. Basically when the outside temp is below 45 or so, the engine makes a tapping sound when accelerating until the engine warms up. This does not happen when it's warm outside no matter how long the car sits.

The car burns zero oil between 5k mile changes with 5w30 MaxLife red bottle. Not even a drop of usage.

Is this an oiling issue? Would moving to a thinner oil help? Car is back specified for 0w30 and 0w20 in addition to the standard recommended 5w30.

OK, I will Bite......

Never had an issue with "valve tapping noise" when cold.....only issue I EVER experienced was upon initial start-up, I would get the "1ZZFE start-up VVTi rattle" which would last about 1 second and then, settle into a nice, smooth cold start idle........
Been running Pennzoil Platinum HM 5W30 with an XG3600 Fram filter.

I believe these engines can have valve adjustments done.

My echo (different engine) tapped for a few 10s of thousands of miles; i posted about it here; ignored it and it went away.

The adjustment procedure in the FSM was beyond what i was comfortable attempting; each lifter bucket had to be addressed individually.

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1058212

Last edited:
I maintain a 2005 Corolla with 400k. Quieter than a new car at hot idle. Uses no oil. Has had a slight tapping when cold for years. Only under load so that kinda rules out valve noise. Piston slap or rod bearings... don't know - I just tell her to let it idle a few minutes before pulling off. Nice engine from 2005+ with the revised pistons and drive by wire throttle.

Originally Posted By: AndyinAL
I maintain a 2005 Corolla with 400k. Quieter than a new car at hot idle. Uses no oil. Has had a slight tapping when cold for years. Only under load so that kinda rules out valve noise. Piston slap or rod bearings... don't know - I just tell her to let it idle a few minutes before pulling off. Nice engine from 2005+ with the revised pistons and drive by wire throttle.

Very interesting Andy. So what kind of filter and oil have been used on this car? Oh and what's the normal OCI?

JJ - the car has an easy life, no short trips, Georgia climate. I change it every 10k or so. Have only maintained the car for the the last 300k, first 100k is unknown. Car was repossessed from previous owner so maintenance is questionable
frown.gif
I have used dozens of FL400s filters before switching to Fram Ultra 3600 filters I get cheap online. That filter size is way larger than stock size, plenty of room. Benefit? Who knows, but I don't see any downside. I am sure I could use the Ulttas for 2 changes. Oil has always been some sort of Synthetic I acquired for less than $2 a quart. Lots of Pennz Ultra and Mobil1. I dont think oil type or brand has been that critical in this situation. Just routine maintenance, highway miles, favorable oprerating conditions, and not hammering on it 5 seconds after it starts (seems to be standard operating procedure among my neighbors leaving late for work)

Oh, and I should mention the car (400k Corolla) is still on the original transmission. My 30k transmission drain and fills are probably more responsible for keeping the car on the road this long than the oil changes. TransFluid changes are so easy on this car it is silly to not do it every once and a while. I bought a ton of Valvoline Import ATF years ago on clearance and that is what it has been getting for better or worse.

Got the same cold noise issue with my '04. Put the 5-30 Magnetec in it. Noise much reduced (maybe 50% or more) but still there.

I also do Toyota WS-ATF drain/fill at that interval, still shifts like new. I use PP5w30 engine oil since 1000 miles, Denso filter, change it every 7500 miles. My climate is a little tougher anywhere from 104F to -40F.

400K miles.......mine is just breaking in then at 221,000miles... sweet !

Last edited:
TinyVoices, have you checked the valve clearances?
I checked my matrix at the 10 year mark (55K miles) and one intake was at the loose end of the range.
I can live with that.
It ticks a little, hot or cold.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back