Volkswagen Bus Concept

Status
Not open for further replies.
So its been a little less than a month since VW officially confirmed the bus. Release date of 2022. I think its cool that VW wanted to go back to its routes with the van, but I think this is going to be a flop. It might sell well in California but I highly doubt its going to sell in the midwest. I would bet that this thing is one of the ugliest vehicles of all time. I really would take a pontiac aztec before this thing. Also this looks like one of the "futuristic" vehicles from Back to the Future 2...... VOLKSWAGEN BUS

It's too "futuristic" looking. They should have kept it more "true to the original" instead.
frown.gif

if you think the final production model will look like that concept, i could understand your aesthetic trepidations.
but that's not the way the car business works 95% of the time.

as an example, since you called out the aztek(which i have always loved BTW):

1999-Pontiac-Aztek-concept-front-left-a-small.jpg

the original concept was based on the full frame 4x4 s10 blazer. then the bean counters got involved, and it was moved to the FWD minivan platform, amongst other obvious changes..

Originally Posted By: SeaJay
Rear or front mounted motor?

Electric - Assume hub motors on all 4 wheels.

Saw an article where 6 minute charging might be available soon. By 2022, all electric might be the way to go. Plus, some European countries are banning new cars with combustion engines, by then.

Last edited:
I think they need to have the chrome hubcaps like the latest generation Beetle and more conservative but true to the original like that as well.

2017_volkswagen_beetle_classic_noir-profond-nacre_032.png

Last edited:
Hopefully it will end up looking more like this:

DSC9793.jpg

BTW the idea for a new “MicroBus” has been around for quite sometime.

2001-vw-microbus-concept-side-1280x960.jpg

I'm thinking the boomers who would want a new nostalgic vehicle may be getting too old for a minivan. That said, it would probably fit a hybrid or ev powertrwin ok.

A little funny but what minivan doesn't have somedesign quirk on its sheet metal?

Doubt they were going to push this as high volume.

There is quite a lot of World outside of North America.

Won't be long before only Electric vehicles or those that have a significant Zero Emissions range will be allowed in many European Cities.

As an example the new London Taxi is a plug in electric vehicle with an on board range extender petrole engine, engineered with the expertise of another of Geelys portfolio of Companies, Volvo.

GM was ahead of the curve with the Volt/Ampera. Just a shame they killed it with the four seat layout, would have been better if they had placed the battery packs somewhere else.

There are many successful vehicles that nevwr make it to North America.

Originally Posted By: StevieC
It's too "futuristic" looking. They should have kept it more "true to the original" instead.
frown.gif

For once I actually like the new better than the old...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back