Rock oil carbon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Specs look good. NOACK is low. No 0W-20's. Seems like a good thing
smile.gif

Low Noack values (good), high HTHS values (good) and a decent TBN. Looks good.

I remember Rock-Oil from the 90's, as a high quality performance motorcycle oil. They had some great eye catching adverts in the motorcycle press too.

The one thing that is a minor point, the 0W40 is rated MB 229.5, which means it must pass ACEA A3/B4, which means it needs a TBN of 10 or more. Yet they give it's TBN as 8 which makes it A3/B3 and not technically MB 229.5. Either a typo, or "suitable for ..." rather than actually tested by MB. Wouldn't be hard to find out, as MB list all the oils they have tested and passed. Still you are only planning for 3k miles / 1 year and a TBN of 8 will be easily up for that.

I think it should be fine, and I would go thicker in an air cooled engine, so 10W50 sounds about right to me.

Originally Posted By: SR5
Still you are only planning for 3k miles / 1 year and a TBN of 8 will be easily up for that.

Yes, 3,000 miles on a TBN 8 oil is nothing stressful at all.

Originally Posted By: SR5
I think it should be fine, and I would go thicker in an air cooled engine, so 10W50 sounds about right to me.

That's my hunch as well.... but it's just a hunch

Thanks folks

The technical director has today confirmed zddp in the region of 1200ppm, with 'other additives protecting the valvetrain'

He also advised the recommended max OCI is 5000 miles / 12months in road use.

Certainly an option, although less widely available than Millers CFS/NT

Is there anything in its makeup that should sway me towards the Millers equivalent?

http://www.millersoils.co.uk/pdf/datasheets/CFS-10w50.pdf

Rock Oil I know and it has been around for decades.

Millers I don't know, but it uses the words "synergistic" and "nanotechnology" which always sounds a bit try-hard to me. It could be a good oil, I just don't know.

What is wrong with a few well known classics like M1 15W-50 or Castrol Edge 10W-60 ? They both have a solid reputation.

Same with Valvoline VR-1 available as 5W-50, 10W-60 and 20W-50 in Europe.
https://www.valvolineeurope.com/english/products/engine_oils/vr1_racing

Last edited:
Interesting, it looks like RockOil measured their product against a "Nanotechnology" oil which didn't perform as well as all the buzz words suggest it would. I like hard testing with real numbers over buzz words. I suspect one of their test may have been the old one armed bandit wear scar test, which isn't that related to motor oil performance. Still given the choice of RockOil and Millers nanotechnology, my vote is for RockOil.

BTW you have an air cooled Porsche, correct ?
I believe Porsche have their own brand 20W-50 oil for that and there is a VOA (virgin oil analysis) for it floating around here somewhere. I'll try and dig it up. Makes me think the VR-1 20W50 would be a good choice. Those VR-1 oils are all A3/B4 rated with a high TBN and high ZDDP (zinc).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back