Cabin air filter installation issue

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey got a new cabin filter to replace since my mom probably never did it… and as expected it was all black and crudy. I also went with a charcoal activated one from FRAM.

Now the issue is, well, I’m not sure really let me explain.

The airflow arrow on the filter should be pointed down since that’s how it goes. But the problem is have to notch the sides of the filter onto the notch that run on each side of the filter tray ( picture for reference). Installing it with the arrow flowing down doesn’t fit in those notches because the filter pleates are to fat ( picture). But installing it the other way around (arrow going up) it fits perfectly because the side pleates on that side are made to fit ( picutre)

So I’m at a dead end and not quite sure. Any inputs on this? Car is 2006 Hyundai Tucson by the way.

Last edited:
Why do cars need cabin filters, they didn't used to for decades and people breathed in them just fine.

Originally Posted By: LoneRanger
Why do cars need cabin filters, they didn't used to for decades and people breathed in them just fine.

And homes didn't have air conditioning for decades. Suppose we should go back to those days as well?

There's nothing wrong with advancement. Your home HVAC has a filter, the car does too. Both for your lungs and the HVAC system, cleaner is better.

Cabin and engine air filters are two items I like to go OEM with since I hear too many stories about aftermarket items not fitting quite right.

That said, we are talking about a non-critical item here and I'd say if it seems to fit right "upside down" you are probably A-OK with leaving it that way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back