AltiMAX Arctic vs AltiMAX Arctic 12

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm snow tire shopping for a Nissan Leaf with stock tire size of 215/50 17. I bought a spare set of 16" wheels so my desired tire sizes are 215/55 16, 205/60 16 and 205/55 16 (the 205/55 is on the small size, 0.59" smaller diameter, but other models of the Leaf use that size, so I'm sure it's no problem). I like the 205/60 the most for a slightly smaller section width and more sidewall height.

Discount Tire has both the AltiMAX Arctic and the new AltiMAX Arctic 12. The price difference for a set of 4 (after taxes and Mail In Rebates) is about $70. I also assume that the AltiMax Arctics have an older manufacture date by roughly a year.

There's not a lot of real world reports for the newer model, so I'm debating whether to go with the new model and assume it's better, or save the $70 on a more proven tire.

Which would you buy?

Doesn't $70 more get into the good ice tire price range? The 12 is still a snow tire designed for studs, which can still work pretty well without them, but unless your dealing with deep snow often, I think ice tires are usually better for the urban environment.
In any case I'd go for a narrower tire than 215, if nothing else it will mean you are clearing 20mm less slush and snow out of your way and will keep more of your range.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
Are you factoring in the $100 off $400 sale on DT's Ebay page?

Ebay Tire Link

You can utilize the sale above and the General tire rebate.

I had looked at that, but the size I want for the Arctic 12s are listed at $396, so I assume I can't get the $100 discount. If it was $400, that'd be a great deal at $400 - $100 - $50 (General's MIR) = $250 excluding mounting.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/4-NEW-205-60-16-ARTIC-12-STUDDABLE-60R-R16-TIRES-35925-/362115076342

The other prices I looked at are on DT, which come out to be about $410 (including mounting, balancing and tax) for the 12s. and about $330 for the original Arctics (again, including mounting, balancing and tax).

I do agree that ice traction is the priority over snow traction. From my googling, running a studdable tire without studs on it would not significantly reduce performance, although logically, a tire designed without studability should perform better.

I had actually already ordered the Nokian Hakkapeliitta 7 in 205/60 16 from DT (smoking deal, $180 in MIR, $300 mounted after tax), but they called and said that they're discontinued and they don't have any in my size.

I just got a set of AltiMax Arctic 12s for an old Passat that we'll only have for a couple years. Also 215/55R16. The General rebate made them significantly cheaper than the WS-80, xi3 or Hakka R2s. Got them on eBay from TireBuyer.

I'm pretty sure the AltiMax Arctic 12s are rebranded Gislaved NordFrost 100s. Probably easier to find reviews of that tire

Last edited:
I found the least expensive item that DTD eBay sells and they have 4 chrome valve stems for $12, adding that to the above tires takes it to $408, and the $100 discount applies. It would be $308 shipped, then the manufacturer's rebate after that, ending at $258 without mounting and balancing. This looks like it's the way to go. I have to lug the wheels and tires to get them mounted and balanced, but it's doable.

Thanks everyone!

Originally Posted By: E365
I just got a set of AltiMax Arctic 12s for an old Passat that we'll only have for a couple years. Also 215/55R16. The General rebate made them significantly cheaper than the WS-80, xi3 or Hakka R2s. Got them on eBay from TireBuyer.

I'm pretty sure the AltiMax Arctic 12s are rebranded Gislaved NordFrost 100s. Probably easier to find reviews of that tire

Thanks! You're right, the tread pattern is identical, so I'll look for the Gislaved reviews. I assume that you did the research and found that the reviews for the NordFrost 100 were satisfactory enough for you to for for the Generals? I'd like to go with the Bridgestone, Michelin or Nokians, but the Geners are quite a bit cheaper, like you said. Plus my snow/winter tire needs aren't that demanding, so any decent model should be good enough for me.

Thanks E365!!

Originally Posted By: EdwardC

Thanks! You're right, the tread pattern is identical, so I'll look for the Gislaved reviews. I assume that you did the research and found that the reviews for the NordFrost 100 were satisfactory enough for you to for for the Generals? I'd like to go with the Bridgestone, Michelin or Nokians, but the Geners are quite a bit cheaper, like you said. Plus my snow/winter tire needs aren't that demanding, so any decent model should be good enough for me.

If they are anything like the Nordfrost 5s I have on my BMW they are very capable tires in the snow. It appears I can no longer purchase Gislaved tires here anymore, so I'm looking at the AltiMax as replacements.

I've used the standard AltiMax Arctic's for 3 Winters now. Great traction on ice (for non-studded, but it is studdable), even wet ice, and snow, but haven't tried it in deep snow. They are a bit mushy and have lots of tread squirm. Totally worth it for the traction.

For reference I live North-West of the Winter Freeze Line in Maryland. When it's 37 degree high in Baltimore it's 30 here. It freezes here every night and only during the coldest part of Winter stays frozen all day. So I drive on a lot of black ice every morning and evening, all Winter long.

Thank you all, I went for the AltiMAX Arctic 12 off eBay. It was $408, minus the $100 so I paid $308 shipped. I should get $50 from General.

It's interesting that by buying through eBay, I can avoid tax and any kind of local disposal fees. I can take the wheels and tires to a mom and pop close by and get them mounted and balanced for cheap.

I did some research, but also based my decision off the old Altimax Arctics. Generally all very positive. The 12s have to be even better, and at a great price. Gotta be a good choice for a budget winter tire! Certainly better than any all-season
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: EdwardC

Thanks E365!!

I just pulled the trigger on a set of 4 General Altimax Arctic 12's. Discount Tire Direct 235/55 17's for $512 minus $100 minus $50 rebate = $362. Too good of price to turn down. Not a lot of testing on these new tires, fingers crossed. I ski on Mt Hood and need a tire that works in deep snow and slush. With this tread pattern it should work good. Passed on the Michelin X ice 3 because of reviews about riding up on top of slush not cutting through

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back