0w-40 year round in Canada?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a Vw golf with the 1.8T that I use as a work vehicle. I do enough mileage that I can change the oil twice a year. I usually time it so its in the springtime and in the fall. During the summer i've been putting 5w-40 Castrol, and in the Winter time Mobil1 0w-40. I'm just wondering if 0w-40 would alright year round during the summer months. I've always looked at 0w-40 for its good cold starting properties but not sure how well it holds up in the summer?

Thanks

Originally Posted By: Indydriver
I’d be more concerned about 0W-40 startup in severe cold. What does VW spec?

VW calls for a VW 502.00 spec, which this Castrol 0w-40 meets.

Castrol 0W40 has a pour point of -60C (-76F) I would say that is pretty severe.

I use it year round in all my cars. And that goes from freezing Quebec winter weather to track use in the summer.

Last edited:
M1 0W-40 has a -40C viscosity 63% higher than 0W-30. I would think cold viz would be the critical issue for Canadian winters.

Why? a 0w-40 is good down to at least -40C, as that's where the MRV test is done.

Castrol 5w-40 is less than a spectacular oil, their 0w-30/0w-40 were/are significantly better products. The Mobil product is also an excellent choice.

I'm presently using the Castrol 0w-40 in my Grand Cherokee as it is recommended for SRT applications, unlike Mobil 1 0w-40, otherwise, I'd run that. I ran it in my M5 year round (back when it was LL-01 approved).

Originally Posted By: Mr_Accord
I have a Vw golf with the 1.8T that I use as a work vehicle. I do enough mileage that I can change the oil twice a year. I usually time it so its in the springtime and in the fall. During the summer i've been putting 5w-40 Castrol, and in the Winter time Mobil1 0w-40. I'm just wondering if 0w-40 would alright year round during the summer months. I've always looked at 0w-40 for its good cold starting properties but not sure how well it holds up in the summer?

Thanks

Dump that Castrol 5W40 POS.
Use Castrol 0W40 all year around.

i ran Redline 10-30 year around in PA for 200,000 miles before i traded my 2001 1.8T jetta!!! although its not as cold in PA the true synthetic redline is thickens @ a slower rate in the cold, you know that 40 C is 104 F so your group III fake synthetic mineral oil is a lot less vicious on a cold morning when its new + as it ages the viscosity improvers + pour point depressants go away!! if you do a lot of highway + few shorties a real synthetic may go all year!!

Originally Posted By: benjy
i ran Redline 10-30 year around in PA for 200,000 miles before i traded my 2001 1.8T jetta!!! although its not as cold in PA the true synthetic redline is thickens @ a slower rate in the cold, you know that 40 C is 104 F so your group III fake synthetic mineral oil is a lot less vicious on a cold morning when its new + as it ages the viscosity improvers + pour point depressants go away!! if you do a lot of highway + few shorties a real synthetic may go all year!!

Give me a break man.
I saw Passat's with 1.8T using "fake" synthetics with 350k+. For example Valvoline 5W40 MST has better performance characteristics then new Redline 5W40 Professional series. Ester works only as good as other compounds, and as professional series proves, Redline has a hard time cooking really good oil that can also get approvals.

In Canadian winter I would run Castrol 0W40 (which is by the way, PAO based oil) over any Redline. Final product is much more important then whether oil is Group III, IV or V.
Mobil1 5W30ESP proves that point.

0W-40 and once a year changes
smile.gif

Last edited:
M1 0W-40 has a -40C viscosity 63% higher than 0W-30. I would think cold viz would be the critical issue for Canadian winters.

If I can manage with a 5w-XX in my climate, a 0w-40 will certainly be acceptable in the winter. One can try to pick around a bit and find some 0w-XX examples that are "better" than others, but that's mostly hair splitting.

Originally Posted By: antonmnster
My 335 seems to start a little easier below 0F with 0-30 Castrol than the 0-40, but that's very anecdotal. I wounldn't sweat it.

Also very anecdotal, but around 0F, my 530i would start easier with Pennzoil 5w-40 than with Castrol 0w-30, which I did not expect.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back