Why all the tiny buttons on auto sound systems?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So frustrating! Why do all the aftermarket stereos have 25-30 tiny buttons on them? Yeah, I know about equalization and sound customization, but dang its so difficult to tune while driving. When it gets to the point you cant simply change a station or band without a user manual its just wrong. These tiny keys are so poorly labeled now. I have a good technical background but the marking are so cryptic its a joke. My massive man hands just make things even worse.

Can anyone shed some light on why the aftermarket sounds systems are so user unfriendly?

I strongly dislike aftermarket stereos for this reason, along with the goofy LCD they usually have with the crazy lights and colors. Most seem to look and feel like a cheap child's toy.

Originally Posted By: dishdude
I strongly dislike aftermarket stereos for this reason, along with the goofy LCD they usually have with the crazy lights and colors. Most seem to look and feel like a cheap child's toy.

I bought one for my son last year. He could never figure out how to turn off the changing lights. It was like a disco at night. He's still young enough to think that that is cool.

I find that the higher end stuff doesn't really have this issue. Alpine and Kenwood Excelon equipment can be color matched to your existing lighting and they're not over the top.

There are a few nice double DIN touchscreen units with Apple CarPlay and Android Auto... Sony makes one that's about $400 and looks like an OE unit.

Sony

It's my observation that once the stations are set-you don't use the buttons-IF your vehicle has steering wheel controls.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
I'll take buttons over touch screens any day of the week.

If a vehicle has a touch screen, I wouldn't buy it.

Agree with all of the above posts! I'm actually enjoying the stock radio in my 2008 KIA. Two knobs and large, well-spaced buttons. The whole "Tokyo at night" theme has always mystified me. WHY? Maybe I'm getting too old for that stuff!!!

Yeah, I just bought a 2005 Chevy Silverado as a flood replacement vehicle. It had a aftermarket Alpine system that didn't even play through the rear speakers.
mad.gif

To make matters worse, the 30 tiny buttons on it don't all have markings, and some of them are even set in a slanting diagonal pattern. Unusable IMO. So, I buy a simple stock stereo off of Ebay for $50, and get it installed for $30, THEN, I have to go to a Chevy dealer to "unlock it". Chevy price for 15 minutes of work? $197.
mad.gif

In any case, the Alpine is OUT and my stock stereo is so simple you can operate it blindfolded.
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
I'll take buttons over touch screens any day of the week.

If a vehicle has a touch screen, I wouldn't buy it.

Well....since I'm 99.9% sure all car radios will be touch screens in the very near future....you options will be limited.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back