Camry Tires-Goodyear or Cooper ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's time for tires on my Camry. I have narrowed it down to 2 choices:

Cooper CS-5 Ultra or Goodyear Eagle Sport A/S

Local dealer has them both priced at around $600 out the door with taxes, balance, disposal, etc. Cooper rebate is $70. Goodyear is $50.

Size is 215/55/17

Your thoughts ?

Thanks.

If im not mistaken goodyear eagle sport AS comes standard on some toyotas. At least my sisters 2011 corolla did back then.
I would Get the one with the highest treadware mileage warranty. Its always fun coming back for tires later and getting that pro rata discount

I get nervous about GY tires - almost every set I've known didn't age well in terms of noise or wet grip. I did have one GREAT set - the assurance triple tread. Fantastic tire in every way for the way I drove. BUT, that tire's survey results varied greatly depending on size. for My size, which I think was a 205-60-16 (minivan), it was well rated on tire rack. If you went with larger sizes like SUVs, it customer reviews weren't good at all.

Cooper CS5 consistently gets good marks here.

Originally Posted By: Insertcoolname
If im not mistaken goodyear eagle sport AS comes standard on some toyotas. At least my sisters 2011 corolla did back then.
I would Get the one with the highest treadware mileage warranty. Its always fun coming back for tires later and getting that pro rata discount

My friend's Q7 came with the GY eagle Sport A/S from the factory.

but I would probably go with the Coopers though

I have the Cooper Ultras on my Accord and they're fantastic.
thumbsup2.gif

I had that triple ~ was great in the rain … never had issues with the high end (Kevlar) Wranglers … Eagles have driven well but not long lasting …
Lots of Cooper car/truck tires sold here … one of my engineers likes them …

The Goodyear Assurance Fuel Max have an $80 rebate. I had them on my Cruze and got 52k out of them. Not a bad tire but I went with the Continental Purecontact with Ecoplus technology. Seems my mpg have taken a hit but will know more once I put the miles on these. They handle a lot better than the Goodyears.

I have used the GY Eagle Sport A/S tire for two "summers" and find it to be great fun for that, saw some reviews that said they were mediocre in the rain and have not found that to the case in my driving. I have driven them after ~2" of snow and they were OK for that, however I would not trust them to get me through a whole winter (had GY Ultra Grip Ice WRTs and now Hakka R2s for that). I believe that CR gave those GYs a poor mark for either snow or ice traction...

If you need good winter performance from your A/S tires and can find some evidence that the Coopers are strong for those conditions, they may be a better choice than the GYs. I did look at the CS5 Ultras due to them being available for a good price at Walmart, but was not able to find enough info about them to feel comfortable buying them a couple of years ago.

I'd get the Cooper CS-5 Ultra myself.
In my experience, Goodyear makes some really lousy tires and some really awesome ones, too.

Out of those two, the CS5. They are made in the US, and a grand touring tire like the CS5 will probably give you better winter capability than the Eagle Sport AS (made in Chile), a high performance tire.

The Cooper is likely better for your driving conditions.

Originally Posted By: Indydriver
Are either made in USA?

The CS5 Ultra is made in the USA
smile.gif
34.gif

Why would you buy tires from a Toyota dealer? You’ll save money getting them almost anywhere else. Of those alternatives, I’d go with the Coopers, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back