Coolant on serpentine belt

Status
Not open for further replies.
I spilled a fair amount of G05 on my serpentine belt while I filling my radiator, and I think the belt is slipping on my PS pump now. Any quick fixes until I can replace the belt? I heard simple green from one source? Brake cleaner?

Just pour some water on it and then go for a drive. It should works itself off unless the belt is really old. I've spilled coolant on belts many times with no issue.

I would spray it down carefully with a normal cleaner such as simple green or 409, then pour some hot water on it from a bucket.. carefully.. and let dry.

Whatever you do.. dont use belt dressing on it.

Don't over think in, plain old water is fine. There is nothing in coolant water cant take care of.

Originally Posted By: Tman220
Don't over think in, plain old water is fine. There is nothing in coolant water cant take care of.

^^^ This. No sarcasm or belittlement (is that a word?) intended...Common sense...What happens under your hood when it rains and you hit shallow standing water? I've gone to a car wash (with the motor running) sprayed under the hood with a plastic garden sprayer and simple green, rinse off with the (spot free low pressure) rinse.

Isn't coolant designed to be mixed with water?

definitely water.. I've had this happen before, just poured some distilled water over it and it washed off. I used distilled so no minerals/deposits would get on the belt. Serpentine belts today are made of EPDM from what I remember. It's not the neoprene of the past where it would soak up stuff. That's the nice thing about EPDM much stronger/resistant.

Yeah I already poured some water on it I was just concerned it wasn't aggressive enough which is why I was asking. I was thinking of using some of my Mpro7 gun cleaner which is similar to simple green iirc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back