new Nokian Nordman 7 SUV's installed

Status
Not open for further replies.
After 6 winters running Cooper Weathermaster WSC's, I decided to replace them because they were getting really harsh and rough. They had a ton of tread left, but boy were they getting hard. I was going to buy the Nordman 5 SUV, but Discount Tire had zero in stock anywhere in the US, so the store manager did a search for my size and said we can get the Nordman 7 SUV, which I had never heard of before until he mentioned it. He said it was new this season, and looks to be an update of the older Hakka 7. I was shocked at the price, which was $22/tire cheaper than the General Altimax Arctic 12. I just had them mounted and balanced and will swap them on the car within the next 2 weeks. I am eagerly looking forward to seeing how they perform.

Nokian's Nordman line is just older Hakkapeliitta tires with a new sidewall pattern for the Nordman name. It's meant to draw people into the Nokian brand at a lower price point than current Hakkapeliitta tires

Either way, they should perform excellently in winter as do pretty much most of Nokian's line.

I used to think that the Nordmans were Nokian's studdable line while the Hakka were all studless, but have since learned that is not that case.

The first time I heard of Nordman tires was when we were shopping for a used Impreza for my daughter and drove one that had some model of those mounted despite it being late summer or early fall. The salesman tried to tell us how great it was that we would get winter tires with our purchase, I only thought that was a good thing if we also got a set of summers or all seasons as well.
Maybe the ones on that Subaru are totally different from the OPer's, but our test drive was so rumbly and clunky that I told the salesman we couldn't even tell much about the car itself. I would guess that the Nordmans might also be a lot more tolerable in the cold weather that they were designed for than the 70F or so we had for that test drive.

Originally Posted By: UG_Passat
Nokian's Nordman line is just older Hakkapeliitta tires with a new sidewall pattern for the Nordman name. It's meant to draw people into the Nokian brand at a lower price point than current Hakkapeliitta tires

Hakkapeliitta? That sounds like something you cough up and spit out.

Originally Posted By: mightymousetech
Originally Posted By: NormanBuntz

Hakkapeliitta? That sounds like something you cough up and spit out.

Actually, it is the sound of awesome.

+1 It’s also the sound that AWD CUVs running all-seasons make as you drive past them, or as they slide past you at the stoplight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back