New Hemi 5.7L, what oil would you use?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since Dodge SRT has a technical partnership with Pennzoil/Shell (similar to Ferrari,) that's where I'd be looking. Their GTL based products (PUP/PP/SHU) are fantastic (I use them in my Sludge prone Saab 9-5 among others.)

Choose the correct grade PP 5W-20 meets MS-6395 the and make sure that it meets he correct Chrysler specification for warranty purposes. If you local auto-parts store doesn't stock a particular product, Amazon will or your local shop should be able to order it in. If they can't (or wont) then your money is probably not good enough for them, and you should take your business elsewhere.

Below is a chart of all Pennzoil products and the specs they meet:

Regards
Jordan

Oh just as an aside: if your 5.7 came with an SRT badge it'd require MS-1075/MS-12633, a 5W40/0W40 A3/B4 oil. Same engine
wink.gif
CAFE is your friend. the more you know...
Jordan

Thanks everyone, again!

I know of the Chrysler spec and I too find it funny that its the same engine in different vehicles but that have to meet different specs. In my vehicle, though, I need to meet MS 6395 and the manual only calls for 5W-20.

If Im worried about 5W-20 being too thin, it looks like PUP 5W-20 is on the thicker side of 5W-20 and it meets the correct Chrysler spec. My only issue is finding it...Amazon has it at $44 per gallon, so pretty overpriced when Walmart has it for $24 (but of course its not in stock).

Originally Posted By: JFAllen
Oh just as an aside: if your 5.7 came with an SRT badge it'd require MS-1075/MS-12633, a 5W40/0W40 A3/B4 oil. Same engine
wink.gif
CAFE is your friend. the more you know...
Jordan

The SRT vehicles, if naturally aspirated, have the 6.4L. The HellCat variants (including the TrackHawk) come with the 6.2L supercharged mill, none of them have a 5.7L.

Use what the owner's manual specifies. If 5W-20 then stick with that as your engine was designed around that grade of oil. Any brand on the Wally Mart shelves would do.

Originally Posted By: anndel
Use what the owner's manual specifies. If 5W-20 then stick with that as your engine was designed around that grade of oil. Any brand on the Wally Mart shelves would do.

The sticking point is that the same engine is spec-ed for 5w-30 depending on what vehicle its in. They didn't design one version of the 5.7L for the ram 1500, one for the ram 2500, etc.

The thinking is that the 1500 has MDS but the 2500/3500 don't. But I think everywhere we've seen engines "all of a sudden" require 5W-20, it was for CAFE reasons, not because the engine was specifically re-designed for it.

Last edited:
Actually they did design different engines in the 5.7 and 6.4. the engines they put in the 2500/3500 are lower HP but higher torque, no MDS and supposedly built for longer longevity.

Regardless my 5.7 hemi is still under warranty and spec'd for 5w20 and I use 5w30 or mostly 10w30. I live in Florida, I use it for towing and I change my oil every 4000 miles, filter and oil.
Only warranty issue so far has been a exhaust manifold gasket but I garrantee oil viscosity is never going to be a issue.

Originally Posted By: Panzerman
Actually they did design different engines in the 5.7 and 6.4. the engines they put in the 2500/3500 are lower HP but higher torque, no MDS and supposedly built for longer longevity.

That I did NOT know...if its true, 5W-20 it will be, I guess!

Castrol Edge seems to be the "thickest" 5W-20 I can find locally, but PP is cheaper because of rebate. They both meet the Chrysler spec.

I believe the engines, as far as the 5.7L is concerned, are structurally identical save for the absence of the MDS lifters in the trucks so equipped. I have confirmed previously that the MDS lifters and solenoids are the exact same between the 5w-20 spec 5.7L and the 0w-40 spec 6.4L, so it would seem that software is the primary difference there with respect to accommodations made for viscosity.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
I believe the engines, as far as the 5.7L is concerned, are structurally identical save for the absence of the MDS lifters in the trucks so equipped. I have confirmed previously that the MDS lifters and solenoids are the exact same between the 5w-20 spec 5.7L and the 0w-40 spec 6.4L, so it would seem that software is the primary difference there with respect to accommodations made for viscosity.

And you would be correct. The oil viscosity does affect MDS operation but only minimally...

Actually found the filter I wanted, oil meets the Chrysler spec. For 5000 mile changes what say you?

20190601_191529.jpg

Last edited:
Give it a go...
I've got a 2018 Charger Daytona with a 5.7... I changed it's factory fill around 3500 with 3.5 qts of conventional Valvoline NexGen 5w20 + 3 qts of synthetic Valvoline 5w30 with a Motorcraft FL 820 S oil filter... the engine was immediately quieter upon start up and runs smoothly... the same mix will be run at it's next change, and after that, I'm going to try either just the synthetic Valvoline in 5w30 or maybe what you have laid out for yours...

Last edited:
Just completed first oil change on my 2019 Bighorn/Lonestar North edition with Hemi at 3500 miles.
Went with OEM filter and Havoline ProDS 5w-30 Full Synthetic in the 6 qt box for $19.97 (order thru local Walmart and get it within 2 days), and just pickup an additional quart at local auto part store..
Next oil change at 10k same oil and WIX filter and then every 5k after..
Just easier for me to remember every 5k between vehicles and motorcycles..

Last edited:
Roughly 1/2 the hemi owners at our hemi forum use heavier then 5w20 w/o issue. Now, when you are in a hemi forum you are surounded by issues you hear about like hemi tick and other issues so people are more geared toward trying to address things with lubrication, is the reason for so many fails because inadequate lubrication? Only an idiot would say no for sure, and only an idiot would say yes for sure. The answer to the question is it is al least "possible". Thus, that is why FCA recomended a heavier oils to deal with widespread issues facing another application. But, they can't do that with the 5.7 for two reasons, one the gov't and their CAFE, and two because they lie to everyone and say mds requires 20 weight which is completely wrong. So it is up to owners to take in all of the info and develop a lubrication strategy. I personally run a heavy 5w30 and a high flow synthetic media filter, and also limit idle time, the cam is starved at idle. Many vehicles like police cars and other that idle a lot are reporting a high incidence of cam problems. I'd say 5w20 is just as a legitimate strategy as 5w30, I don't judge, if that is where you research takes you then own it. Oil prssure is the great equalizer, maybe 30 weight doesn't have that much better film then 20 weight so maybe it doesn't matter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back