Why so many buttons on the steering wheel?

Status
Not open for further replies.
There has to be a better place to put control buttons than on the steering wheel. Yup, it's supposed to be convenient, but, as an example, how convenient is it when you turn a corner and the radio comes on? Or if the radio is already on, you drive around a corner and it shuts off. What is your least favorite button on the steering wheel?

Not sure why you have a problem with the buttons, but my Fusion has a full compliment of buttons on its steering wheel - between the cruise control and stereo control, I think there are 12 or 13 buttons - and I don't recall ever accidentally hitting a button while I was turning, or really at any other time. And I drive a lot.

.. maybe it's just the way you're handling the steering wheel that's the problem?

I find the interaction between steering wheel buttons and the dash display varies allot between vehicles … but glad to say it works well on the newest so maybe they do listen some …

I had a Chevy Cruze and I kept bumping the cruise control button, turning it off. Chrysler seems to have their buttons in a better place. I have yet to accidentally turn anything on/off and the wife's Jeep seems to have the same layout of controls, so if you drive FCA products you learn the one system.

They put all the buttons on the wheel so you don't have to look away from the road while driving, to give you something to do when you are not studying the touchscreen for the menu for the thing you want to do with the other 786 controls embedded in the media interface.

Look at it this way ... without those steering wheel controls, you would never have a reason to look away from the touchscreen.

When I was at the autoshow a few months back all I could thing is that there are way to many buttons on the steering wheel.

My wife's Scion only has radio controls on the wheel (vol up/down, mode, channel up/down) and my truck only has cruise control (on/off on left side, resume/set/coast on the other).
That seems around the right amount.

I guess I am getting old.

Maybe get the radio fixed if it is coming on and off going round a bend.

Surely you should be paying attention to the road when turning a corner rather than adjusting or changing anything on the vehicle

I have hit the voice activation button when turning the steering wheel on my Altima. It doesn't happen often but it does happen. I never had that problem with the last Camry I owned which had the same number of buttons on the wheel. It is just a combination of where Nissan put the buttons and how I turn the wheel. I like having the buttons on the wheel and I will just live with it.

I love steering wheel buttons. I think they're the most useful on the back of the steering wheel. Makes it super easy to change modes, station, volume etc. My XJ just has cruise buttons and my LR3 doesn't have anything on the back. My Liberty and Cherokee have audio controls on the back. Cruise on front, and the Cherokee has the EVIC buttons on the front too.

I like having audio controls on the wheel. I find it convenient to be able to change stations, and adjust volume at the flick of a finger. The Focus also has cruise on the wheel.

It's funny, when I get in the bmw I often handle the wheel as though I'm hoping to use my fingers on the left hand to adjust the volume and stations. Strange to find only the signal stock
confused.gif

I have no buttons on my wheel, i assume i wont have a choice on my next car but if i could decide itd have no buttons! Put them on the dash/center where they belong.

I never hit the buttons accidentally while driving. There's a lot of them though. Comes in handy when you want to do one thing and have something else up on the dash display like navigation. The only real drawback is that you can do so much with the buttons that it can become distracting while driving.

Originally Posted By: FungusAmongUs
There has to be a better place to put control buttons than on the steering wheel. Yup, it's supposed to be convenient, but, as an example, how convenient is it when you turn a corner and the radio comes on? Or if the radio is already on, you drive around a corner and it shuts off. What is your least favorite button on the steering wheel?

When the steering wheel buttons start doing funny things then it's time to replace the spiral cable aka clock spring. Look it up.

Originally Posted By: funflyer

When the steering wheel buttons start doing funny things then it's time to replace the spiral cable aka clock spring. Look it up.

Pretty sure the OP means because of where he holds the wheel he's touching the buttons when he turns...not a mechanical failure..

Might be time to go back to the basics.... 10 & 2

I HATE STEERING WHEEL CONTROLS. There, I said it. My Ford Escape has steering wheel controls for only cruise control and I don't even like that. I guess I'm one of the few people who likes the older-GM approach where the cruise control is on the turn signal stalk. The only thing I want on my steering wheel is the horn.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SirTanon
Not sure why you have a problem with the buttons, but my Fusion has a full compliment of buttons on its steering wheel - between the cruise control and stereo control, I think there are 12 or 13 buttons - and I don't recall ever accidentally hitting a button while I was turning, or really at any other time. And I drive a lot.

.. maybe it's just the way you're handling the steering wheel that's the problem?

Agreed. I love them!
21.gif

What car do you have where the radio on/off button is on the steering wheel?

Originally Posted By: UG_Passat
What car do you have where the radio on/off button is on the steering wheel?

I managed to turn the radio on over the weekend while backing & turning out of a driveway in the '14 RAV4. Didn't ruin my day.

Wife's prius has the perfect assortment of wheel controls. As said above it skips all the stupid menus on the touchscreen. I can change radio stations/ volume or AC temp. The display even stays where I left it yet acknowledges my request in a tiny text box in the corner.

It's also a step towards giving HVAC control back to the driver, who is supposed to be in control of the vehicle.
laugh.gif

I steer with the outer rim of the steering wheel, not with the front of it.

Originally Posted By: HoosierJeeper
My XJ just has cruise buttons
Cruise in an XJ!? Must be a fancy one!
grin2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back