How long can an oil filter last? 10k? 20k? 100k?

Status
Not open for further replies.
In theory, anyone ever run across anecdotes where filters last way longer than the replacement interval?
A fuel filter lasts 100k miles. Does an oil filter REALLY only last 3k? I'd think it would last longer than a fuel filter.

Do you change oil filter more frequently than the new 10k Synth oil interval?

Last edited:
It depends on the application, contamination load, filter build etc.

That said I have run an Amsoil EAO filter 20,000 miles (32,000km) before just to test it. No issues but they are rated for 25,000 miles.

Last edited:
I have run Fleetguard Stratapore filters 30k miles many times on my Dodge diesel.
Also Fram Ultra and Purolator Boss 18k miles.

The comparison to the fuel filter is not really valid. The oil filter is designed to collect dirt and other debris that are generated by engine operation, leakage of the air filter, or mechanical wear of parts either in their normal state of wear or from catastrophic failure mode. That last mode is the "Hail Mary" aka "I hope this failure doesn't go too far downstream".

A fuel filter, despite having regular additions of fluid of un-known cleanliness, doesn't have to worry about catching "failure mode" debris from the engine or even the fuel pump itself. Plus the viscosity of gasoline with temperature changes is no where near what engine oil can experience in like conditions.

Honda, Nissan, maybe others often suggest in their owners manual that oil filter changes can be done every other oil change. To go much more than this recommendation is to risk that the increasingly dirty (plugged) oil filter might go into routine bypass mode = no filtration at all. You decide it the cost savings warrants this risk?

If you install a oil filter that is specifically rated for a long-duration, and you trust the maker, go ahead and change at their suggested interval.

Last edited:
It's about what kind of engine you have (gas, ethanol, LPG or diesel) and how dirty it is. What kind of media in the filter, media area and porosity.

5.7L V8 with a little filter running on gas with carb, maybe 12K ... 1.8L with port injection and big filter, 12K or more easily. Pre-ECM diesel with 1M miles, maybe 15~20K (2 gal sock filter). Propane hauler running on LPG, any engine, filter prolly good for 25K at least
smile.gif

How about a top quality, synthetic filter (1000-1500 miles per year) in a warm weather, low dust, low humidity climate? The cannister won't rust very fast. The filter media won't get filled very quickly. Couldn't the filter easily go 3-7 yrs in such an environment?

How do you define filter life? I know of at least three ways: 1- When the filter media deteriorates to the point that it rips, tears or disintegrates. 2- When the filter is loaded to the extent that increasing pressure drop allows the pressure relief valve to open, thus bypassing unfiltered oil around the filter media. Since this happens routinely during below freezing start-ups, it is a matter of degree. 3- When the accumulation of solids in the filter begin to desorb or flush through the filter on pressure or flow surges at such a rate that engine wear increases. (Refer to SAE papers #650866 and #680258 by Fram Employees). My rule of thumb is that cellulose media oil filters are good for 6 months or 5000 miles, composite cellulose and synthetic media oil filters are good for 1 year or 10,000 miles and completely synthetic media oil filters with wire mesh backing are good for several years or 20,000 miles. However there are too many variables and not enough accurate information published by filter manufacturers to know with any degree of certainty. Are there any filter manufacturers willing to step up to this challenge?

Originally Posted By: wowthisexists
In theory, anyone ever run across anecdotes where filters last way longer than the replacement interval?
A fuel filter lasts 100k miles. Does an oil filter REALLY only last 3k? I'd think it would last longer than a fuel filter.

That's like asking how long a pair of shoes would last. Answer= it depends

Originally Posted By: Lubener
Originally Posted By: wowthisexists

That's like asking how long a pair of shoes would last. Answer= it depends

We so have a winner here!

It truly depends on a whole host of inputs in this "what if ...." question.

I will state with certainty that oil filters can typically last a lot longer than most BITOGers would fear to tread.

If my driving was all 65 MPH highway, in moderate temperatures and light traffic, I'd have the most efficient and lightest-wear scenario possible and I would happily go 10,000 miles on a premium (not EP) filter. Under ideal conditions, most decent oil filters are able to go much longer than indicated by the manufacturer. It's the adverse conditions that many drive under that require the filter be changed more often.

The longest I have left an oil filter on any of my engines was a Toyota/Denso OEM filter on my 2006 Tacoma, I thought I had changed it at the previous service but apparently I was in a hurry and left it on, changing only the oil. So that Denso filter went over 11,000 miles and I could not tell any difference. The truck ran great the whole time and I am not worried about any wear or additional failure due to running the oil filter beyond it's "service life" (which will vary depending on conditions).

My commute is 14 miles each way with some stop-and-go city traffic, and weekend trips can be much shorter or longer. So currently I am running synthetic oil at 7,500-mile intervals (Toyota specifies conventional oil at 5,000-mile intervals for this vehicle). I don't drive it hard or in dusty conditions so this interval works great for my situation. I use premium filters such as Bosch, Purolator, Denso, etc. No need for EP filters at these intervals.

Last edited:
Unless the operating conditions require it or the engine is in a poor state of repair, I tend to think 10K is the new 3K for most engines these days. With the exception of inferior construction, **most** oil filters should be able to go 10K with ease. The extended filters can go 20-30K with little issue as well. But as someone else said--it all depends.

It all depends on condition of engine, driving environment and so on. A lot of OTR trucks go 50k on a single oil and filter change, sometimes longer. But, their filters are massive and they hold between 30 and 40 quarts so it takes a lot longer for either one to break down and lose it's effectiveness. Not to mention the presence of large air filters that trap most of the dirt before it has a chance to get into the engine. Me, personally, my filters all get between 5000 and 7500 miles and that's it. I won't run an oil or filter longer than that. I change it frequently because it's cheap, engine's aren't and I don't see the point in pushing it, it pays to have a solid peace of mind, too.

A BITOG FYI I am trying to teach here,,, the best oil filter is a good air filter.

That's funny CT8. True indeed.

Try this maybe...

PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT: Best oil filter is a great air filter that has a great seal with the air box.

Last edited:
Ok, I had no idea filters last longer than oil change intervals. I bought a mobil 1 synth filter that says 10k miles. I'll probably change it every oil change anyway. It's fun

i change my filter every 7500 - 8000 when i change my oil in all my cars/trucks.
i currently use stp filters and i drive highway with little to no traffic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back