2014 Silverado differential and transfer-case oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
What are some good fluids for both my differentials and front transfer case? I plan on going 75w90 in both Transfer cases unless everyone insist I stick with 75w85. I also don’t really want to spend $20 a quart. Thanks

Yep, go a grade or two thicker than OEM recommendation, and the diff/Xcase bearings and gears would love it.
Other than price and availability,for stronger components protection pick one with a higher KV@40*C first and foremost and, if it's possible, a higher KV@100*C within similar grades .

Originally Posted By: GMcDougal
What are some good fluids for both my differentials and front transfer case? I plan on going 75w90 in both Transfer cases unless everyone insist I stick with 75w85. I also don’t really want to spend $20 a quart. Thanks

"Front transfer case?" "Both transfer cases?" Your truck has only one transfer case, and it's not a "front" transfer case. You need to get your terminology right so we can be sure we're talking about the same components. Otherwise you're going to put the wrong fluid in and screw something up.

Originally Posted By: exranger06
Originally Posted By: GMcDougal

"Front transfer case?" "Both transfer cases?" Your truck has only one transfer case, and it's not a "front" transfer case. You need to get your terminology right so we can be sure we're talking about the same components. Otherwise you're going to put the wrong fluid in and screw something up.

Yes, my apologies. Front transfer case (4x4), front differential and rear differential. I realize the front and rear differentials get 75w90 gear oil and the transfer case gets dexron vi. I am trying to figure out which is best for the money. Thanks!”

Last edited:
I would say the best bet would be to go get Mobil 1 75w-90 gear oil at one of the auto parts store near you and pick up any dexron vi fluid and you would be good to go.

I use AMSOIL's Severe gear and keep it in 100k. Pulled a sample and it came back fine. I could have left it in longer and I do some mile hauling and towing with my 2002 Silverado. Just an FYI.

For the front & rear differential, use the brand u like best in 75w90. I have experience w valvoline, Mobil 1, supertech, Delo, RP, autozone / oreillys and although I don’t know if one is better than the others, they all worked good in my past and present GM trucks. Xcase use only Dex VI, again chose the brand you like best

Ran Mobil 1 gear oil in GM’s for 20 years … walk in and grab at Autozone … always came back out clean after 30k~50k … Dex VI take your pick … pretty tightly controlled products …

Originally Posted By: zeng
Yep, go a grade or two thicker than OEM recommendation, and the diff/Xcase bearings and gears would love it.
Other than price and availability,for stronger components protection pick one with a higher KV@40*C first and foremost and, if it's possible, a higher KV@100*C within similar grades .

So spec the non-recommended fluid in a truck that MAY BE under warranty?

Any J2360 75w-90 will do the trick. I used 75W90 in my wife's 2014. Didn't think twice. It also makes it easier. 5 quarts will get you front and rear filled. Only Dex VI for the transfer case. GM went to a larger ring gear in the 2014 1500s so they could drop the viscosity. They were trying to eek out any MPG they could find. Diffs don't care about thicker oil within reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back