Fuel System Cleaner every 7k

Status
Not open for further replies.
I noticed in my area, the car with fuel injection will drop fuel mileage and lost acceleration after 6-7.5k which will be restored with half tank of fuel mixed with Redline SI-1. This happens with all the common Top Brand Fuel like Mobil, Shell and Caltex.
SO I am wondering if that is normal to add those fuel system to maintain system performance ?

I use a little bit of Chevron or Red Line fuel additive every tank. I don't know if it's really needed except for the fact that I tend to keep vehicles and do all my own maintenance and think it's worth the trouble to avoid problems in the future. Every oil change at 10K the cars get a whole bottle. So far I've never had a fuel related problem, no failed injectors or flow sensor or anything else. The spark plugs that came out at 100K in my V8 4Runner looked like new. I changed them, anyhow.

I add a bottle of my fuel cleaner of choice on the tank of gas right before an oil change. This way any that blows past the rings into the oil is changed out with the oil. (Well most of it anyway).

Been doing this forever and never had any issues with fuel related components and my injectors spray nice/clean and I pass all my SMOG tests.

thumbsup2.gif

Last edited:
I get Redex cheap at Costco and use that every month in all the petrol vehicles.

The S Class gets Shell V Power once a month

Originally Posted By: WobblyElvis
I've never used a fuel system cleaner and never had a fuel system problem. Maybe the fuel already has cleaners in it here in Canada.

Most fuel in Canada is Top-Tier and has increased detergency because of that, so that might be why.
wink.gif

Yep, stick to top tier and never buy fuel cleaners. Not sure that helps the OP, being in Asia. Isn't SE Asia called India?

I did track mileage for all cars, when it drops more than 5% consecutively and pickup is not instant with the depressing gas pedal, typically i would suspect the problem is coming back

No idea what fuel quality is like in SE Asia. In NA, the sales logic is either a cleaner dose every so often, or else a maintenance dose for more OCD BITOGers. Since some adds include lubricity improvers, the small bit per tank is more logical, but less convenient.

Over here there are brands that guarantee "top tier" additive levels, and then other brands which are as low as the EPA mandated minimums, or someplace in-between.

Originally Posted By: StevieC
I've never used a fuel system cleaner and never had a fuel system problem. Maybe the fuel already has cleaners in it here in Canada.

Most fuel in Canada is Top-Tier and has increased detergency because of that, so that might be why.
wink.gif

I have never used fuel system cleaner. I have been burning Mobil 87 regular [99% of the time] on all my vehicles since the early 70's.

Originally Posted By: dishdude
Yep, stick to top tier and never buy fuel cleaners. Not sure that helps the OP, being in Asia. Isn't SE Asia called India?

Do you really think SE Asia is called India?

They don’t prevent problems, they just keep things cleaner.

A bit like saying I never brush my teeth but have never had any problems with eating or my appetite. You can still eat with dirty or decayed teeth.

In my experience low quality fuel affects diesels more than petrols, or perhaps a lower quality additive package would be more accurate?

Fuel cleaners do work in my experience and opinion.

Fifth Gear did a report on getting an old car back into shape years ago. It was a well looked after VW Corrado.

The biggest improvement was from using Redex. Am doing the results were confirmed on a rolling road.

They form part of my preventative maintenance regime, and are added when I buy a used car aswell.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Rolla07
How are you measuring this perceived loss of mileage and acceleration?

Can you not tell when your cars lacks a little power or develops a slight flatspot?

If you get 350miles to a tank for the first couple of years, then it drops to 340, 330 etc.

Can you perceive me the slight drop in performance with the AC on?

With a forum name like kr bitog it is likely that the OP is from South Korea perhaps? Isn’t kr the identifier for South Korea on the web?

Originally Posted By: bigjl

Do you really think SE Asia is called India?

Why bother looking at a map, right?
AZ is in SE North America, BTW.

SE Asia is Myanmar, Thailand, Cambodia, Laos, Vietnam, Malaysia, Singapore and can be stretched to include Indonesia. Indonesia is really too big to truly include as SEAsia.

India is South Asia, aka the subcontinent.

Korea would be East Asia.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back