0W-16 & 0W-20 TDS compared (Valvoline Synthetic)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Valvoline has a 0w16 now?
shocked2.gif

I wouldn't be surprised if 0w16 overtakes M1 AP as the slowest moving oil at Walmart.

When it goes on clearance, stock up on it because in 10 years time, it'll be the thickest oil around.
crackmeup2.gif

Sheesh a cst@100 of 6.8. UOA's I've seen where a 20 grade sheared that much didn't look especially good.

Originally Posted By: fields
Honda and Toyota. This wt. has been used for years in Japan.

This is fine with Shaken, you may want to google it in the Japanese transportation system to,gain context.

Most car owners in that country dispose of vehicles around 40k miles due to the punitive inspection system.
So if it gets the car to 40k does it matter?
What is a reasonable ownership time for you to have a vehicle?

There is always context and nuance to account for to understand why things are so in different places and this is not apples to apples.

Last edited:
I'd like to see more development on the KV40. Many cars are driven for 5-10 minutes and are constantly running thick oil due to NOT being up to operating temperature. There is so little to gain once up to operating temperature. I still haven't ponied up for Sustina though!

Originally Posted By: RedOakRanch
I'd like to see more development on the KV40. Many cars are driven for 5-10 minutes and are constantly running thick oil due to NOT being up to operating temperature. There is so little to gain once up to operating temperature. I still haven't ponied up for Sustina though!

That's a common meme, and there's a view from some that the optimum oil viscosity is one that doesn't change (see old University 101)...Problem with that IMO is evidenced by the sequence IVA, in that at cold temperatures, viscosity is providing parts separation, and at hot, it's additives providing wear control.

To have a constant viscosity oil would require additives that are functional at all temperatures, freezing through to normal operating.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Originally Posted By: RedOakRanch

That's a common meme, and there's a view from some that the optimum oil viscosity is one that doesn't change (see old University 101)...Problem with that IMO is evidenced by the sequence IVA, in that at cold temperatures, viscosity is providing parts separation, and at hot, it's additives providing wear control.

To have a constant viscosity oil would require additives that are functional at all temperatures, freezing through to normal operating.

I'm not expecting to see a constant viscosity oil in my lifetime nor am I looking for one but a block heater and pre-oiler solves those issues now.

Originally Posted By: Bryanccfshr

This is fine with Shaken, you may want to google it in the Japanese transportation system to,gain context.

Most car owners in that country dispose of vehicles around 40k miles due to the punitive inspection system.
So if it gets the car to 40k does it matter?
What is a reasonable ownership time for you to have a vehicle?

There is always context and nuance to account for to understand why things are so in different places and this is not apples to apples.

+1
We have a saying here in Malaysia that Japanese 'dispose' off their vehicle at year 3.
Quite a substantial number are imported by local used car dealers.

Originally Posted By: CharlieBauer
I wouldn't be surprised if 0w16 overtakes M1 AP as the slowest moving oil at Walmart.

When it goes on clearance, stock up on it because in 10 years time, it'll be the thickest oil around.
crackmeup2.gif

No, this will be a volume seller. The 2018 Camry 4-cyl calls for 0w16.

These 0W16 and 0W8 oils are coming and coming soon. The ILSAC GF-6 and the next API revision will be out soon enough and this is where the industry is headed. Most hybrid's call for this oil. Since synthetic mono-grades in these weights often pass the requirements of a '0W' oil. They require very little or no addition of PPD/VII's/other modifiers, making them incredibly sheer stable. This makes them very consistent over the life of the oil.

regards
Jordan

Originally Posted By: CharlieBauer

crackmeup2.gif

This is an OE oil weight you know.

Originally Posted By: zeng

+1
We have a saying here in Malaysia that Japanese 'dispose' off their vehicle at year 3.
Quite a substantial number are imported by local used car dealers.

Year 3 and year 5 when the ownership taxes go up. Also to avoid that inspection.

yeah well in japan the hand can be used as a knife too.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back