Traditional German family dish

Status
Not open for further replies.

OVERKILL

$100 Site Donor 2021
As to not hijack car51's thread, I noticed there was some interest in a meal that was passed down to me from my mother, and from her father, which came from his grandmother...etc. It goes back a ways, at least as far back as when the family name had a "von" in front of it
grin.gif

The meal is quite simple, you will need:

1. A large ceramic casserole dish, rectangular is preferable.
2. 6 or 7 large sausages. I generally use Bratwurst or Oktoberfest, however you can use anything really. For this example I'm actually going to use the Memorial Cup sausage from our local butcher, Franz's.
3. 12 or so medium/large potatoes. Sliced, boiled and mashed. You want to be able to burry the sausages in the casserole dish.
4. A container of sauerkraut
5. A generous helping of parmesan cheese*

Start by peeling, slicing and boiling your potatoes. While into the boil cycle, but before the potatoes are ready, fire up a frying pan with some salted water in it to boil your sausages. I prefer sea salt, but this is a matter of preference. The volume of water should be sufficient to almost cover the sausages. I use a large (14") cast iron skillet for this.

When the sausages are a few minutes out, start to pre-heat your oven to 375F.

When your potatoes are ready, set them aside. When the sausages are ready, place them in the casserole dish, spaced evenly. Cover them in sauerkraut, be generous. Burry this in mashed potatoes, covering everything. If you can't cover everything, you didn't make enough potatoes
wink.gif
When this is smoothed out across the casserole dish then sprinkle the top of it liberally with parmesan cheese. Place in the oven and cook until the cheese has browned nicely. Remove and serve.

*I'm sure the parmesan is a semi-modern addition, I have no idea what was used originally.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back