Napa Gold 1348 4,689 mi off 22RE cut open!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good afternoon BITOG,

I took advantage of the mild weather here today to change the oil in the 4Runner. For those of you not familiar with my fleet it's a 1987 model with a never rebuilt 22RE with (as of today) 331,901.1 miles on the clock. Previous fill was VWB SAE 30 which has been in all summer and saw LOTS AND LOTS of short trips and idle time with the AC running. I had to reset my hour tracker a few times during this run so I don't have an exact hour count but I'd estimate around 330 hours of run time this run with easily 1/3 of them idle time. Another Napa Gold 1348 replaced this filter with a fill of Rotella T-4 CJ-4/SM 10w30 sourced from Amazon on a blowout deal back in February. Enjoy the pictures.

While the truck was in the garage I also elected to change the air filter as it was getting pretty grungy looking in the spring when I last serviced the truck. Air filter restriction meter was still reading 8" and I was going to wait to 11" but while I had the truck in the garage I elected to change the filter anyway. Outgoing filter was a Car Quest premium blue filter, replacement filter is a Napa Gold. Here are some pictures, old filter was pretty gross...

Looks good Luke. Thanks for c&p
smile.gif

That’s one reliable Toyota!
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: car51
smile.gif

smile.gif

Thanks man, it's a good truck, I'd trust it to drive to Alaska tomorrow! Shooting for at least 400,000 miles on the original engine.

Luke - looks good to me too. Especially when you see the toll of the short tripping and idle time you had.

I like your cut & posts.

Thanks

Originally Posted By: FlyNavyP3
Originally Posted By: car51
smile.gif

smile.gif

Thanks man, it's a good truck, I'd trust it to drive to Alaska tomorrow! Shooting for at least 400,000 miles on the original engine.

You are
Welcome Luke
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: WellOiled
Luke - looks good to me too. Especially when you see the toll of the short tripping and idle time you had.

I like your cut & posts.

Thanks

I appreciate the kind words. I enjoy sharing my filter cuts with the community. Thankfully so far they're all pretty boring
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: FlyNavyP3

I appreciate the kind words. I enjoy sharing my filter cuts with the community. Thankfully so far they're all pretty boring
smile.gif

Yup, most Wix filters are pretty boring, which is a good thing.

I drove a lot of those Toyota's with that engine when I worked for a pool company in the late 80's early 90's.
Some of those trucks went 500,000 miles with nothing but oil changes every other month (2-4000 miles a month), a filter change (OEM) every other change and an air filter change every 6 months). The bed and frame rusted out from the chemicals used in the pool industry before the motors gave out.

Unsurprisingly IME the 1348 looks good at ~4700 miles. Currently running one of these two ocis to 2 years on a 3.4L Tacoma. Only putting ~5k miles max a year on it.

Thanks for c&p.

Looks amazing. I have a 1993 22RE Yota 4x4 which just turned 160,100 miles and it's getting harder to buy OEM Toyota 90915-YZZD1 filters from Amazon as now they won't ship to Hawaii despite being a Prime member. Either I'll have to go to the stealership (which I want to avoid at all cost), go with NAPA Gold or Platinum or Fram Ultra from Wal Mart. Thanks for the C&P.

Originally Posted By: anndel
Looks amazing. I have a 1993 22RE Yota 4x4 which just turned 160,100 miles and it's getting harder to buy OEM Toyota 90915-YZZD1 filters from Amazon as now they won't ship to Hawaii despite being a Prime member. Either I'll have to go to the stealership (which I want to avoid at all cost), go with NAPA Gold or Platinum or Fram Ultra from Wal Mart. Thanks for the C&P.

Hard to go wrong with a Napa Gold, for the money I'd buy the Fram Ultra over the platinum. All three are excellent filters. I have 3 Ultras and 5 CQ Premium Blue filters in the stash (wix made). Once those are all gone I'll probably just buy and a case of FPS3614 off eBay, same filter as the Ultra just without the grippy stuff. Fortunately my two daily driver vehicles both take the same filter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back