New Honda EU2000i -Ruff Idle on Eco Mode

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been breaking-in my brand new EU2000i for a few days now. Since the first time I've run the generator I have noticed a ruff idle on Eco-Mode without any load on the unit. On the contrary if I run off of Eco it doesn't act up. When I load the gen up it's nice and smooth.

History/Background on unit:
Rotella T4 15W-40 for break-in
Two oil changes at 1st hour then at 5th hour mark
Shell 93 octane gas with Sta-bil. Unable to find E0 gas where I live.
Inspected Air Cleaner before firing up
Magnetic Dipstick for shavings

Is the vibration and ruff idle normal on these units while on Eco w/o any load?
Can it be a weak ignition coil?
Any other thoughts?

Don't run in Eco-Mode if it bothers you.
5 hours and three changes of oil?
It's a Honda... put it away til you need it or once a year maintenance.

I don't have an EU2000i but I do know people who own them and I've seen them run. In low rpm eco mode they're fairly smooth. I own a Yamaha EF2000i and it also runs smoothly at low speed.

My first suspicion would be that the low speed jet may have an obstruction. That's the first place I'd look. Another thing to check is to make sure the spark plug cap is on tight. I'd also look at trying a new plug to see if the problem goes away. If not, focus on fuel delivery and in particular the carb.

Pull the float bowl to see if there's fabrication debris in it. I've bought new equipment that wouldn't run properly right out of the box. Dropped the float bowl and found small plastic particles in it. Cleaned it out and it's run fine ever since.

Please do keep us apprised of your progress.

Originally Posted By: Ursatdx
Don't run in Eco-Mode if it bothers you.
5 hours and three changes of oil?
It's a Honda... put it away til you need it or once a year maintenance.

"Don't run in Eco-Mode if it bothers you."

Ummmm, that's the reason people buy expensive inverter generators.

The machine isn't running right. It needs attention. If it's still under warranty, the owner should bring it in to the dealership.

Small engines are not set up to run smoothly at idle. They are not that sophisticated. They are set up to run at load and operating rpm. How does it run at load. And why did you use a heavier oil to break in. If there is such a thing at break-in you want a lighter oil.

How old is your Shell 93 with StaBil added? Did you try other fuel and get the same results?

I would try fresh 87 octane without Stabil in it. Just as a temporary measure. This is what most generators would see because most people wouldn't go through the trouble of using Stabil or higher octane gas.

I have had a whole host of problems with small engines and Stabil and it's why I refuse to use it.

Then if it's still a problem I would investigate the idle jet and/or take it in under warranty for repair.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: twoheeldrive
You might have one with a bad spark plug cap. There is a service bulletin on it.

Here's a link to a discussion about it: Service Bulletin

Thank you so much... I saw the bulletin and "YES" my unit came with the green dot sticker on the outside. The serial number is also one that is affected.

Thank you again!!! I will be taking it in for service, with the bulletin in hand.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: mechjames
Is it possible the OPE dealer did a PDI on it a few months before you bought it with ethanol gas? Anything over 30 days will start clogging carburetors.

All depends on storage and if a stabilizer was used. Our stuff is stored in a shed so it's out of the elements.

I think our generator has year old Ethanol gas in it. Just ran it for 3 hours today as the power was out. Smooth as silk and while a little cranky starting, ran fine. It's going on year 6 now always stored full, always with a dose of StaBil and MMO and the gas gets changed yearly. I try to run it monthly or at least a couple times a year.

Same with our riding lawn mower, mower, and pressure washer. All get filled at the end of the season with gas + StaBil + MMO. All have had no carb issues.

The only thing that gets special attention is the snowblower and it gets drained and the carb sprayed with a liberal dose of WD-40 and then put back together.

Originally Posted By: rummy

Thank you so much... I saw the bulletin and "YES" my unit came with the green dot sticker on the outside. The serial number is also one that is affected.

Thank you again!!! I will be taking it in for service, with the bulletin in hand.

Reading that bulletin, the dot means it was fixed. Especially if you have the white mark on the boot.... But service may be in order as something doesn't sound right.

Did not take in for warranty. Dished out $50 bucks and did this myself.

Changed out the ignition coil and replaced the OEM plug with a new Iridium plug by NGK CR5HIX (7120). Note* you will have to buy terminal nut for this plug separately.
Now this gen, runs amazing while in Ecomode with/without a load. No more ruff idle, no more hard starts, no more wanting to stall. Thanks for everyones input. Learned a lot.

Thanks for the follow-up! Glad you got it sorted.
thumbsup2.gif

that's a nice machine. glad you got it sorted. reliable, bulletproof, quiet, thrifty on fuel, clean power output, and very portable. also accepts external tank mods easily.

Considering it had a problem from initial manufacturing, I think "bullet proof" is a bit of a stretch. They are excellent machines nonetheless.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back