Meat Smokers

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm looking to get a smoker. I don't know much about them. I've looked at high end units from Weber and Traegger down to entry level units from Chargrill and Charbroil. What are the pros and cons of electric, propane, charcoal or wood pellets? What size do you have?

I wouldnt go electric. Wood pellet is easy..maintains temp on its own. Start it and walk away. I think the true challenge is practicing and maintaining grill temps i use a weber charcoal bbq. (150$ grill) and use the snake method with charcoal. This requires practice and patience to maintain temps so if you plan to start it and walk away, go with a pellet smoker. I prefer taste of charcoal and wood together. I do plan on buying a pellet smoker down the road. Go read up on this site:amazingribs.com Tons of great info and advice, buying guides on grills etc..personally, if you wana practice do it on a weber charcoal bbq and learn to smoke on it first..after that get a pellet smoker.

Electric, propane, or pellet are like using an oven. I would consider a pellet grill as a electric. I have used a Traegger and it is really easy to use and makes good food. At home all I use is wood fire to smoke, I like the vertical water smokers, but the cheap ones like I have are hard to control the temp on. A horizontal barrel type grill with a firebox would be better for cooking larger quantities of food though. I have one of the little Acorn Jr.s that is pretty neat, it is amazing how little fuel it needs to cook.

I went from a Chargriller SMOKIN' OUTLAW GRILL to a Masterbuilt 40” DIGITAL ELECTRIC SMOKER with Bluetooth.
Love the electric grill, set the temp and forget it. Just add wood chips to the wood tray (don't even have to open the door).
The fire box rusted out on my Chargriller after several years. The Chargriller was also a pain to clean the inside.

It really depends on what your goals are, how much work you want to put in, how much do you need to cook. Any method can get good results with the right person cooking on it.

I’m smoking a 6.5 lb brisket flat on my big green egg at the moment. BGE is expensive, but the results are nothing short of amazing and they last forever.

Natural lump charcoal burns longer and hotter. Ceramic kamado style grills trap moisture and maintain a perfectly even temp.

I have a masterbuilt electric smoker. I don't get enough of a good smoke with it. I smoke my turkeys on an off set grill for an hour, then they go into the masterbuilt smoker.

char-griller-gas-charcoal-combo-grills-93560-64_1000.jpg

81qWt8HMlQL._SY679_.jpg

Originally Posted By: whip
I'm looking to get a smoker. I don't know much about them. I've looked at high end units from Weber and Traegger down to entry level units from Chargrill and Charbroil. What are the pros and cons of electric, propane, charcoal or wood pellets? What size do you have?

We have the Pitt Boss 700 and love it.

Present situation...

I am a BGE/lump charcoal guy also.
I will never go back.

However, whatever you get take the time to learn how to use it to your best advantage.
I am sure everyone who has responded is happy with the results they are getting and have taken the time to learn their grill/smoker and method.

Originally Posted By: KJSmith

However, whatever you get take the time to learn how to use it to your best advantage.
I am sure everyone who has responded is happy with the results they are getting and have taken the time to learn their grill/smoker and method.

Very true, whatever you go with, there will be a learning curve.

I have an electric smoker. Much like the one pictured above. It works best when loaded up. Tons o smoke and mighty tasty meats.

No, the flavor is not the same flavor as my charcoal unit. (Charcoal rules! ) but it’s easy and different is not worse or in any way a bad thing. The electric does not get hot enough to melt fat, so I find I like lean meats in it.

I've had a side firebox smoker in the past and have a masterbuilt electric now. While the electric won't make bark that is quite as good as charcoal the ease of use outweighs whatever minor negatives there may be. I'm electric for life now.

if you do get a masterbuilt, you should hold judgement and only consider it with the external smoke attachment which is only $60extra. dont even consider it if you're trying to smoke with only the main unit alone.

i think a big decision point on what setup depends on if youre going for brisket and need 10hrs+ of cook time,

so if you plan on waking up 4times a night to check and feed the unit, or if you want to set it and forget it and sleep so you can actually entertain and have fun on your sunday party.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ATex7239

Present situation...

That's the same one I have. Great grill. The only downside I can see is it has a cheap burn pot. Mine is starting to corrode after three seasons and will probably have to be replaced within the next two. I plan on fabricating a new one using stainless steel.

My opinion with over 40 years of doing this is nothing matches the end product of charcoal + wood, or all wood. All wood takes a lot of work and has a signigicant learning curve vs using high quality charcoal for base load heat with wood for flavor profile.

I also recommend the Weber Smokey Mountain for someone starting out, coupled with 100% hardwood charcoal and smoke wood chunks. I recommend Royal Oak Chef's Select 100% hardwood briquets as an easy to work with fuel, or lump charcoal.

https://www.doitbest.com/products/838136

Originally Posted By: funflyer
Originally Posted By: ATex7239

Present situation...

That's the same one I have. Great grill. The only downside I can see is it has a cheap burn pot. Mine is starting to corrode after three seasons and will probably have to be replaced within the next two. I plan on fabricating a new one using stainless steel.

Yeah, it not super high quality. I consider it a throw away smoker. Once it [censored] out, I’ll toss it, and buy another one. I was picking pellets up this morning and saw the PB700 on sale for $250 at the local WM. That’s a great deal.

If I get three seasons out of this one, I’ll be happy.

Originally Posted By: raytseng
if you do get a masterbuilt, you should hold judgement and only consider it with the external smoke attachment which is only $60extra. dont even consider it if you're trying to smoke with only the main unit alone.

i think a big decision point on what setup depends on if youre going for brisket and need 10hrs+ of cook time,

so if you plan on waking up 4times a night to check and feed the unit, or if you want to set it and forget it and sleep so you can actually entertain and have fun on your sunday party.

I can maintain temp between 225-275 on my Weber One touch 22.5 inch bbq (150$ canadian) for 15 hours using weber brand charcoal and the snake method. No need to get up in middle of night
smile.gif

Electric and pellet have not much user input, although sometimes easier is better!

I use a Weber Smokey Mountain 18”. Designed for low & slow. Easy to manage your fire. Wood over charcoal.

Weber Smokey Mountain link

Started with a 22” Weber Kettle and a Smokenator. Prefer Smokey Mountain for ribs. Kettle is perfect for steaks. Also the best overall.

The 22” Old Smokey does a great job with chicken. Pull the chicken based on temperature using a quick read thermometer.

Link Thermapens

Every grill has a purpose.

The Genesis is foul weather backup. Glad I have it. It has saved the day more that once.

I use a 55 gal Pit Barrel smoker, works great for smoking,set your coal and wood chips and let her rip.
cheers3.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back