2006 chrysler 300 NAG Transmission

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have this car with 74000 original miles on it, 3.5 engine with mercedes 6 speed transmission no dip stick! It shifts good, question should i have transmission serviced or just leave it alone, transmission shop can either flush it or change filter. I have heard to change the fluid and also just leave it alone frustrating can not even check the fluid on this transmission!

Pan drop and filter change, OEM/MBZ approved fluid and OEM filter only. Mercedes transmissions are robust and live a long life with basic fluid and filter changes. Try to do it every 30-40k from here on

Thanks, Should I have the stealership do this or a transmission shop do the job? I would do this myself but no dip stick is there so they really do not want you messing around with it!

Originally Posted By: jeep58
I have this car with 74000 original miles on it, 3.5 engine with mercedes 6 speed transmission no dip stick! It shifts good, question should i have transmission serviced or just leave it alone, transmission shop can either flush it or change filter. I have heard to change the fluid and also just leave it alone frustrating can not even check the fluid on this transmission!

I would change it. My dad's Dodge Caravan has a Mercedes sealed for life transmission and I change the fluid every 100K KM's. It's still going strong at 300K. There was lots of shrapnel stuck to the magnet in the pan.
wink.gif

Last edited:
Probably best to let the dealer do it, correct fluid and filter will be used. Another option would be a trustworthy indie who will use the right stuff.

If your transmission pan doesn't have a drain plug, get the Dorman pan that has one, making future ATF changes much easier. And Maxlife is good stuff and will work well in your transmission
smile.gif

I think that that one has the plastic pan that you are supposed to replace when removed. I will have to double check, I know it is a pain to check the fluid in those because the exhaust pipe is in the way of the plug which takes a Allen key.

Ok the Nag is the one that take a special dipstick to check, the dipstick tube is at the back of the intake manifold with a black plastic plug in the top. You have to check the fluid temperature with a scan tool with the transmission in drive, then you measure the level with the special dipstick in park and compare it to the graph that shows the proper level in mm for the fluid temp. It takes 5 liters of Atf+4 for a filter change and you can reuse the pan on that one.

The 8HP is the one that you have to replace the pan on and it takes a special green oil.

I am thinking good job for dealer to do, wandering how much they get for this? Thanks for the good information!

I had the dealer change fluid and filter only, I hope it will be ok so far so good!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back