Looking for so,e insight...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey all, first time poster. This looks like an amazing site to get some opinions. I am looking for opinions on oils for our two different vehicles. I have recently bought all of the necessary materials and equipment, and am going to be doing the oil changes myself - something I've always wanted to do. Looking for recommendations on conventional, high mileage, or synthetic for our two vehicles. I'm in Minnesota where it's quite cold many months out of the year.

A little background on cars:
2005 Pontiac G6 GT 150k miles - have not put on more than 4k a year over the past 3 years and that'll stay the same. Rarely driven.

2015 Nissan Altima 60k miles - driven a lot. 50 mile trip to work.

Been going back and forth with oils for a while depending on what I read and/or am told. Now that I'll be doing them myself, I'm really looking forward to getting on the same schedule/oils.

Thanks much!

welcome2.gif

Welcome to BITOG!

The Altima you likely want to follow the manual re: oil change intervals. Id go for a synthetic in the weight mentionned in the manual. You can play around with oil weights and extending drains down the road. The G6, Id put in synthetic and leave it for 3 years. I would if I were you get the car on a highway run every now and again to prevent moisture from building up. I recommend you keep an eye on sales..autozone usually has a clearance sale in december where full syn can be found for 2$ per quart. Finding syn for a good price isnt too hard these days, also check for mfr rebates on oil. Mobil and Pennzoil sometimes has mail in rebates 10$ off a 5 qt jug, so again you can get full syn for pretty cheap. Thats the main reason I dont use conventional. I would even consider using M1 AFE 0w30 if 5w30 is recommended. Any little bit helps in winter and its fantastic oil.

Ever thought of driving the G6 into work at least once a week? That would keep condensation from building up in the oil.

Last edited:
Since is does get Brisk in Minnesota syn oil would be good. Which one? Any of the major brand names are a safe choice. If you want me to pick an oil it is M1 0W-30AFE . Maybe M1 0W-40 in the G6

We have no issues taking the G6 as often as needed. We will probably start doing that more often. I was thinking synthetic for the Altima for sure. the only though I had with synthetic in the G6 is that it would take quite some time to get to the mileage to change. No need to change oil based off time along if it's driven regularly and no leaks?

I have a 2014 Nissan Versa. I switched from 5w30 to 0w40 and all the weird Nissan noises and vibrations disappeared. I use full synthetic and that's all you need my amigo. I would use the G6 for work to avoid Moisture as mentioned above. Use a full synthetic oil on both.

Originally Posted By: EGrant22
We have no issues taking the G6 as often as needed. We will probably start doing that more often. I was thinking synthetic for the Altima for sure. the only though I had with synthetic in the G6 is that it would take quite some time to get to the mileage to change. No need to change oil based off time along if it's driven regularly and no leaks?

I would go with synthetic on the G6 because you can buy that stuff cheap ALL year round with the Pennzoil/Quaker State/M1 rebates in play. Pennz and QSUD rebates have been in effect continuously now since January 2016....almost 2 years now ($2/qt with PP and $7/5 qts of QSUD). Mobil 1 runs rebates 2X or 3X per year. Net effect is you can get the stuff for $2.60/qt or less after rebate. Many here recently stocked up on nearly free QSUD as Advance Auto Parts was clearing all their inventory (many of us were paid to buy it).

You can literally buy Pennz Plat cheaper than PYB or Pennzoil Syn Blend. So why not? My 1999 only gets 1200 miles per year, driven every week in nice weather, once or twice a month during winter as roads permit. I change the Mobil 1 0w-40 annually as it does turn slightly dark. I could go to 2-3 years I guess. But, the oil change is so cheap at $20 for oil and filter (FUG) that seems reasonable. Your experience might be different. If the oil doesn't change color at all in one year, then go longer. The synthetic oil will also give you slightly better performance vs. conventional at cold temps at elevated operating temps. Since they are paying us to buy cheap synthetic, that's the way to go.

Originally Posted By: 69GTX

I would go with synthetic on the G6 because you can buy that stuff cheap ALL year round with the Pennzoil/Quaker State/M1 rebates in play. Pennz and QSUD rebates have been in effect continuously now since January 2016....almost 2 years now ($2/qt with PP and $7/5 qts of QSUD). Mobil 1 runs rebates 2X or 3X per year. Net effect is you can get the stuff for $2.60/qt or less after rebate. Many here recently stocked up on nearly free QSUD as Advance Auto Parts was clearing all their inventory (many of us were paid to buy it).

You can literally buy Pennz Plat cheaper than PYB or Pennzoil Syn Blend. So why not? My 1999 only gets 1200 miles per year, driven every week in nice weather, once or twice a month during winter as roads permit. I change the Mobil 1 0w-40 annually as it does turn slightly dark. I could go to 2-3 years I guess. But, the oil change is so cheap at $20 for oil and filter (FUG) that seems reasonable. Your experience might be different. If the oil doesn't change color at all in one year, then go longer. The synthetic oil will also give you slightly better performance vs. conventional at cold temps at elevated operating temps. Since they are paying us to buy cheap synthetic, that's the way to go.

This

Pennzoil Platinum HM 5w30 changed once a year in the G6

What's weird is Nissan recommends 0w20, but 5w30 Conventional oil can be used as an alternative.

So I'd use Pennzoil Platinum 0w20 until the warranty is up then go with 5w30 since they allow that viscosity.

Thank you so much to everyone who has helped out! I think I will definitely be going towards a full synthetic 0w-30 in the Pontiac. Also, after looking at my Nissan warranties, not much is covered after 60k. However, it appears that according to my Nissan manual, it needs 0w-20. I have always gotten my oil changed at the dealership as they were covered for the first 3 years. According to the service memos, a conventional 5w-30 was used. I would assume this isn't a big deal? I would like the 0w-20 route.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Pennzoil Platinum HM 5w30 changed once a year in the G6

What's weird is Nissan recommends 0w20, but 5w30 Conventional oil can be used as an alternative.

So I'd use Pennzoil Platinum 0w20 until the warranty is up then go with 5w30 since they allow that viscosity.

Funny thing is the dealership has always used 5w30 in it for every oil change its had.

So, after some research and reading through this thread. I've decided on M1 0w20 for the Altima and 5w30 synthetic for the G6. Wish me luck!

Originally Posted By: SilverFusion2010
I would use 0 or 5w-30 in both vehicles

Nissan is either 5w-30 or 0w-20 according to the manual. Dealership has always done 5w-30 but I'm assuming that's because all oil changes were free for 3 years and it's cheaper. Picked up 0w-20 Pennzoil Platinum because it was quite cheap. That's for the Altima. Would the 0w-20 be OK in the G6 too or should I stick with a synthetic 5w-30?

Nissan is either 5w-30 or 0w-20 according to the manual. Dealership has always done 5w-30 but I'm assuming that's because all oil changes were free for 3 years and it's cheaper. Picked up 0w-20 Pennzoil Platinum because it was quite cheap. That's for the Altima. Would the 0w-20 be OK in the G6 too or should I stick with a synthetic 5w-30?

0-20 usually only comes in synthetic. Dealer prob uses 5-30 cuz it's conv/semi and saves them cash yet still meets reqs of the manufacturer

Originally Posted By: jj51702

0-20 usually only comes in synthetic. Dealer prob uses 5-30 cuz it's conv/semi and saves them cash yet still meets reqs of the manufacturer

I realize 0-20 is only synthetic. I'm going to go with synthetic in the G6 too, just wondering if the 0-20 would be better than 5w-30.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back