Hats off to Kia for servicability

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've done the pre-winter maintenance on our vehicles over the past few weekends, and am very impressed with our '09 Kia Sedona.

- The cartridge oil filter up top is easy (and not at all messy) to replace.

- The plastic skid plate does not have to be removed to drain the engine oil, ATF, or coolant.

- The tranny has a drain plug in its oil pan.

So far, it's been a good vehicle. (We've only had it since June 2016 though, and it only has 111K km on it now.) It's fairly thirsty (typically turning in 11 l/100 km on the highway [which is about 25 MPG Imperisl or 20 MPG US]) but we don't drive it enough for that to be a big deal.

Ergonomics are well-thought out.

My Hyundai Santa Fe was the same way... Access port in the Skid Plate, drain plug for the transmission and while it had a spin-on filter I could access it no problem without jacking up the vehicle if I wanted to.

Agreed. The only Hyundai product I owned was a 2008 Santa Fe AWD. Fluid, lube and filter changes were a breeze. Rear wheel bearings were not so much. Couldn't get at all the hub bolts w/out taking the suspension apart on this vintage.

In regards to the Sedona's fuel economy, we're on our 4th different make/model minivan in a 14yr span. They all got 17-20mpg day to day driving and mid to high 20's on steady, long highway cruises. Even loaded to the gills.

Last edited:
The '15 Kia Sorento had access holes/plates on the skid plate. The '16 Kia Sorento that we have now doesn't
mad.gif
. Nothing a knife couldn't fix though
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: boom10ful
The '15 Kia Sorento had access holes/plates on the skid plate. The '16 Kia Sorento that we have now doesn't
mad.gif
. Nothing a knife couldn't fix though
smile.gif

I've cut my own access holes in a few different plastic skid plates.
lol.gif

I have rust-proofed friend's Sportage the other day, and was impressed with accessibility. Plugs everywhere! Frame, rockers, pillars, etc. Absolutely no need for extra holes for the wand or the trim disassembly.

Good to hear the cartridge is up top. Never understood why auto makers would take such a perfect that BMW and MB used for decades, which is ultra-clean and ultra-easy, and stick it upside down, under a vehicle...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back