2014 Esccape

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, all!

My wife's 2014 escape just came off of the free oil changes that came with the car. I'm looking for the "right" oil. The car doesn't get a lot of miles, maybe 9k/yr. She mainly uses it to take the kids to school and run errands in northern Virginia (may be moving to Hawaii for work next Summer), plus one or two trips a year three states away. I drive it now and then, and a little harder. My own car is a 2006 SRT8 with 123k miles, and that informs how I drive the escape. Both cars are long term vehicles (mine is my forever car), she'll probably drive it 10-12 years, if not longer. So I want the engine to last indefinitely to have a good used car to sell someday or stave off a rebuild as long as possible. I don't know that the monthly mileage (expect all city driving) won't go up soon, she'll probably go back to work at least part time in the next year or so.

I'm not entirely "against" the motorcraft stuff that Ford specifies. But when both are on special, motorcraft is only $.50 a bottle cheaper than full synthetics, I assume that'd be $3 an oil change well spent? Also, I don't know the quality of the motorcraft filter that's usually part of the deal. The Purolator boss filters that come with penzoil platinum plus and the mobil1 filters that come with the mobil1 oil are probably better?

I saw PPP 5w30 at the store, but it was for diesels, I assume that's not good for the escape. I almost went with PPP 0w30, but they only had three bottles of the stuff. There are 3-4 of those stores within easy driving distance, though, and I can also wait for stocks to replenish at the one by my house, if that's the recommendation. I was planning her first oil change for November.

Thanks,

Matt

welcome2.gif

I can be wrong but I have never seen PPP oil for diesel.

I am assuming PPP is a Pennzoil Pure Platinum?
That is their line for gasser and may be Euro Diesel but the Euro Diesel is usually 5w-40?

As a matter of fact, I have not seen too much Pennzoil for diesel at least not in TX.

Originally Posted By: Marnepup
Hi, all!

My wife's 2014 escape just came off of the free oil changes that came with the car. I'm looking for the "right" oil. The car doesn't get a lot of miles, maybe 9k/yr. She mainly uses it to take the kids to school and run errands in northern Virginia (may be moving to Hawaii for work next Summer), plus one or two trips a year three states away. I drive it now and then, and a little harder. My own car is a 2006 SRT8 with 123k miles, and that informs how I drive the escape. Both cars are long term vehicles (mine is my forever car), she'll probably drive it 10-12 years, if not longer. So I want the engine to last indefinitely to have a good used car to sell someday or stave off a rebuild as long as possible. I don't know that the monthly mileage (expect all city driving) won't go up soon, she'll probably go back to work at least part time in the next year or so.

I'm not entirely "against" the motorcraft stuff that Ford specifies. But when both are on special, motorcraft is only $.50 a bottle cheaper than full synthetics, I assume that'd be $3 an oil change well spent? Also, I don't know the quality of the motorcraft filter that's usually part of the deal. The Purolator boss filters that come with penzoil platinum plus and the mobil1 filters that come with the mobil1 oil are probably better?

I saw PPP 5w30 at the store, but it was for diesels, I assume that's not good for the escape. I almost went with PPP 0w30, but they only had three bottles of the stuff. There are 3-4 of those stores within easy driving distance, though, and I can also wait for stocks to replenish at the one by my house, if that's the recommendation. I was planning her first oil change for November.

Thanks,

Matt

Which engine is in your Escape?

Originally Posted By: tig1
Hi, all!

Thanks,

Matt

Which engine is in your Escape?

I have the same question.
I'm hoping you have the base 2.5 or the Ecoboost 2.0 and NOT the Ecoboost 1.6 (which has been replaced by a 1.5T). The 1.6T (Ecoboost) was not Ford's best effort. The other two engines are very good and also durable. At 9K a year you could probably get by with an annual change using a good synthetic like M1, PP or Castrol Edge...

2.0...I was going to go semi-annual at 9k/yr, with room for the 9k to creep up if my wife trends towards 12k as she goes back to work part-time.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JMJNet
I can be wrong but I have never seen PPP oil for diesel.

I am assuming PPP is a Pennzoil Pure Platinum?
That is their line for gasser and may be Euro Diesel but the Euro Diesel is usually 5w-40?

As a matter of fact, I have not seen too much Pennzoil for diesel at least not in TX.

Looking online, there are actually two full synthetic Diesel offerings, the one I saw was not in the euro section, so it was probably Platinum VX.

Anyway, It looks like I can get 5 qt bottles from Wally World for $25, and individual quarts from Target for $6.50.

The capacity of 5.7 quarts boggles the mind. How hard would it have been to make the reservoir a third of a quart larger so we use even quarts?!?

2.0...I was going to go semi-annual at 9k/yr, with room for the 9k to creep up if my wife trends towards 12k as she goes back to work part-time.

I think you would be very well protected with that plan. I think a 5K or less OCI on my 2.5 isn't necessary because of the 5.7 quart oil capacity and under stressed nature of this NA engine....on your turbo 2.0 a 5 or 6K OCI on synthetic is probably wise.

2.0 takes 5.7Q i'd say you would be fine running a full syn 5w30 at least a yr or when the IOLM goes off.

M1 5w-30 or 0w-30 AFE
Or PP 5w-30
Both have mail in rebates right now and can be had for about $12 a 5qt jug at Walmart.
Castrol Magnatec has a strong following and some very good UOA in ecoboost engines

10w-30 would also work as long as you don't get severe cold.

I would use a Fram Toughguard and UOA at 5k to see how shear and fuel dilution are doing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back