Ruger Redhawk 45 Colt anyone?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Been thinking lately of getting something big bore and double action. Already set up to handload the 45 Colt. The Redhawk 45 Colt with the 4.2" barrel has caught my eye. With the flexibility handloading offers seems like it would be useful for plinking, defense, or game. Anybody on here own or shoot one? Like it or hate it?

I've always like the RedHawk, nothing like a big bore revolver.

The 4.2" is a good general purpose size. Good balance between velocity and ease of carry.

Does it accept Moon Clips so you can shoot .45ACP rounds? I like revolvers to have versatility....Like shooting .38's in a 357.

I had a .41 Mag. Ruger Blackhawk.....It was rough enough on me that I didn't really like shooting it.

Yep, I’ve had a .44 mag Blackhawk since I was young and liked it more when I was young
wink.gif

I have several Ruger Blackhawks, and 2 Ruger Super Redhawks in both .44 Magnum and .454 Casull. I doubt there is a more rugged, stoutly built revolver on the market.

Originally Posted By: clinebarger
Does it accept Moon Clips so you can shoot .45ACP rounds? I like revolvers to have versatility....Like shooting .38's in a 357.

I had a .41 Mag. Ruger Blackhawk.....It was rough enough on me that I didn't really like shooting it.

It is offered as a model that will accept moon clips for 45 acp. Also offered without that option. Same price for both.

Originally Posted By: Johnny2Bad
My buddy has a Redhawk, but in .44 Magnum. I've shot it many times, it's a nice firearm. His is 6" barrel. Yes, you can own a handgun in Canada.
Unfortunately we can't hunt with them though
frown.gif

Depends on what you want it for but the .45 Long Colt and .45 ACP are both very lacking if it's a wildlife defense weapon compared to a .44 Magnum or .454 Casull.

I have a a 6" .44 Mag Blackhawk in nickel? (It's definitely not stainless)

I like the lighter weight over the Redhawk, but I carry it often.

All my 45 handloads so far have been standard pressure. I do have box of Corbons that are 265 grains at 1350 fps. The 45 can definitely get into the realm of any 44 mag. That being said, the 4.2" redhawk comes in 44 mag also and is not completely out of consideration in my next purchase.

It depends on what you like and the reloading gear you already have.

But a RedHawk in 44 Mag for a wildlife defense weapon, and downloaded to 44 Special for general duties, makes a lot of sense to me. The 4" barrel works well in this application.

I like the idea of having the gun in a belt holster with spare ammo in belt loops. Easy to carry both 44 Mag and 44 Special on the same belt at the same time. Even match it to a 44 Mag lever rifle if you want.

This sort of flexibility is where revolvers shine.

Originally Posted By: billt460
I have several Ruger Blackhawks, and 2 Ruger Super Redhawks in both .44 Magnum and .454 Casull. I doubt there is a more rugged, stoutly built revolver on the market.

I'm guessing you've never handled a Freedom Arms in 454 Casull.

To the OP, though-I really don't think you can go wrong with the Redhawk.

I'm a big fan of the 45 Colt in any range from plinking/cowboy loads to ones bordering on 454 Casull in kinetic energy. If you hand load, you can get anything in those ranges. A hot 45 Colt will do anything a 44 Mag will do but will do so with a bullet .025" larger in diameter, and more importantly with lower pressure for the same kinetic energy. Stay safe, but the "Ruger" section of the loading manuals is fun to play in.

Originally Posted By: bunnspecial

I'm guessing you've never handled a Freedom Arms in 454 Casull.

Handled them, and shot them. They are a beautifully crafted revolver. But the reality is they are no stronger than any other single action from Ruger or Magnum Research. They're all of the same design. I can't think of any load that could be considered safe in one, and unsafe in the other.

Originally Posted By: Ammofirst
Big revolvers are what America’s all about. Back country excursions need big firepower. 45 colt has a huge range & can definitely be loaded to surpass 1200fpe. Check out some of these +p loadings. https://underwoodammo.com/shop/handgun-ammo/45-colt-long-colt/ 44 mag is great but it does not surpass 45 long colt.

The big difference between the 2, (.45 Colt & .44 Magnum), are the guns built around them. Hot loaded .45 Colt loads have to be used with discretion, in only certain guns like the Ruger Redhawk, and the beefier Blackhawk's, (read non Vaquero Blackhawks and various foreign built replica's). The .44 Magnum can be used in any modern .44 Magnum built around that cartridge. The bottom line here is if Magnum performance is required, then a Magnum caliber revolver should be purchased. Hot rodding weaker .45 Colt guns has led to the premature failure of many fine older .45 Colt revolvers.

True. One must use the proper revolver. I have a model 629 6.5” bbl. I just wanted to point out the potential of 45 Colt for the OP.

Ammofirst said:
Hot rodding weaker .45 Colt guns has led to the premature failure of many fine older .45 Colt revolvers.

Elmer Keith blew up a few Colt single actions before he moved to hot rodding the 44 Special in the S&W Triple-Lock. Of course, we know the rest of the story-he managed to convince S&W and Remington to make the 44 Magnum a commercial cartridge quite a few years later.

Still, used with discretion in the correct guns, 45 Colt is a cartridge with enormous potential.

I think a combination of cowboy shooters and liability concerns over someone tossing modern ammo in an old black powder frame have led to most of the 45 Colt ammo on the market being pretty anemic compared to what even a "normal" smokeless Colt SAA or one of the Italian clones can safely handle.

You typically can't fit the original 40 grains of black powder in a modern case(you need a balloon head case for that) but even 36 or 37 grains(what will typically fit in a modern case under a 250 grain bullet) of FFF Goex makes for quite a stout load. It will sting your hand, especially in a single action if you don't handle it like it was meant to be handled(I preach "let it roll" all the time when I'm out with folks who have limited single action experience).

I have two cases of the no-longer-made PB powder stashed back, and this is one of my favorite powders for 45 Colt. It can make a nice plinking load or can be ramped up a bit to give something warmer that's still well in spec. I won't go to Blue Dot for a standard pressure 45 Colt, but Herco is a nice classic(and mostly forgotten) choice for something a bit warmer, and of course there's also good old reliable Unique. I tend to not like giving out load data on forums, but I mostly just follow the book suggestions from a current Lyman manual for any of these powders. BTW, my bullets of choice are usually soft swaged 250gr round nose Hornadys for the slowest loads, and then I move up to either wheel weights or "Cowboy" bullets from Missouri for warmer(standard pressure) loads. Both of those, again, are 250gr.

For the Ruger section of the manuals, I tend to use a Hornady 250gr soft point and almost exclusively Winchester 296. As a side note, for the sake of safety, I make these loads quite visually distinct. In my loading practices, the Hornady soft point is ONLY used for Ruger loads, and I only make up Ruger loads using that bullet. In addition, I always load them in NEW Starline brass and use a Winchester primer. I'll use new brass for other loads in 45 Colt if need be, but my use of a Winchester primer is a conscious choice vs. using Federal(normally) or CCI(in a pinch) for other 45 Colt loads. The unplated brass Winchester primer sticks out like a sore thumb. In common with my high powered 44 Mag loads(which are safe in any gun, but not always pleasant) I usually put a red X on the case head in sharpie as an additional visual indicator.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back