Thread locking

Status
Not open for further replies.
What's up with all the thread locking?? If something is even slightly political nature is mentioned, the thread is almost immediately locked down. I've been reading these forums for about 12 years and a member for going on 10 years. In my time participating on BITOG, 98% of the time everyone gets along and most all of the posting is in good taste. Just today a thread about a CA emissions lab was closed down, yet there was no bickering or put downs going on. Everyone who posted was civilized and in agreement with each other. Why are we not allowed to discuss what the admins deem political in nature? Are we really not allowed to speak our minds? Even if everyone is civil or in agreement?? I'm sure I'll be reprimanded for posting this. Whatever, I don't have anything to lose. People disagree about motor oil, oil change intervals, other automotive products and practices, but politics are strictly forbidden for some reason, even though some "political" topics are directly related to the primary subject matter discussed on these boards.

I never understood it either. But thats how the owners wanted it. Funny how anything political gets blocked but a thread about illegal emission control mods is allowed to stay

Originally Posted By: maximus
What's up with all the thread locking?? If something is even slightly political nature is mentioned, the thread is almost immediately locked down. I've been reading these forums for about 12 years and a member for going on 10 years. In my time participating on BITOG, 98% of the time everyone gets along and most all of the posting is in good taste. Just today a thread about a CA emissions lab was closed down, yet there was no bickering or put downs going on. Everyone who posted was civilized and in agreement with each other. Why are we not allowed to discuss what the admins deem political in nature? Are we really not allowed to speak our minds? Even if everyone is civil or in agreement?? I'm sure I'll be reprimanded for posting this. Whatever, I don't have anything to lose. People disagree about motor oil, oil change intervals, other automotive products and practices, but politics are strictly forbidden for some reason, even though some "political" topics are directly related to the primary subject matter discussed on these boards.

Think its a bit worse than that. A total blanket ban on politics, though a bit inhibiting, is at least simple and even handed, but sometimes I get the impression that a bit of the right kind of politics is OK, but not the other kind.

I thought this thread was going to be about Loctite and other thread locking componds.

I was all set to answer a host of questions. What a disappointment.
frown.gif

I come here for oil stuffs not politics. If it's related in the industry I'm perfectly fine with it.

It's until about the 4th comment down where some vague attack about some political idea/group/individual gets the ball rolling from there. I find that post has pretty much always existed on a topic that happens to have politics in it, which just makes it insufferable for the rest of the adults.

Last edited:
I have seen direct shots at elected officials make it though … either not seen or something else …

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
I thought this thread was going to be about Loctite and other thread locking componds.

frown.gif

LOL! sorry to disappoint you there. The title IS misleading.

frown.gif

01.gif

frown.gif

Ha! That was the first thing I thought too.

For non-heat bearing situations, I like carpenters glue as thread locker. It'll give under force, but will keep most nuts in place well. Also like 3M 5200 in wet environments.

As far a the other kind of thread locking, it is what it is ...

You can talk about politics in other countries, say how bad they are and all sorts of nasty stuff. Any US politics is instant lock up. Why the discrimination ?

Originally Posted By: JeepWJ19
I come here for oil stuffs not politics. If it's related in the industry I'm perfectly fine with it.

It's until about the 4th comment down where some vague attack about some political idea/group/individual gets the ball rolling from there. I find that post has pretty much always existed on a topic that happens to have politics in it, which just makes it insufferable for the rest of the adults.

Just calling it as I have seen it.

Staying sort-of-industrial, on bolts, I find polythene sheet seems to work as a thread lock / anti-seize.

frown.gif

Yeah, I'm surprised more manufacturers don't use it by default on a lot of things. Going to have to use some on my panorama sunroof. The bolts get loose and you can hear it flex when going over certain bumps/ramps. Some people have taken it to the dealer to get repaired under warranty only to have to do it later. I guess the repair at the dealer doesn't involve any thread locking compound. I would think that any repair that's done that involves loose bolts/screws would automatically have some sort of thread locking compound as part of the repair.

I'm glad they are locking political threads. It is amazing how someonbe will make a nasty comment about a political party in response to a debate about moly in SL-rated oil.

frown.gif

Red Loctite-why do manufacturers & my idiot coworkers keep using it on things that break & can't be heated with a torch??
crazy.gif
Seriously, BITOG is the owner's party-we can't start breaking stuff or we'll get thrown out!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back