What is blue grease used for?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm assuming grease is color coordinated to specify a certain type unless I'm wrong. I have some blue marine grease that's supposed to be for the steering rid on my outboard motor. What else is this good for? I just bought the Johnson evinrude brp specific grease for this application.

I expect it cuts saltwater corrosion. It might be good to cut with spirits and undercoat with if you're in the Northeast.

I would not use it for stuff like ball joints or wheel bearings or car stuff in general.

If you have squeaky hinges and water washes other greases off this Termalene stuff might stick better.

Its a teflon based grease, not a petroleum based grease. Good for marine so you dont get petroleum products in the water.
Good for polyurethane bushings on cars. Not sure what else.

'Regular' Chevron Delo HD grease is blue in color, while Delo ESI is red. But it doesn't mean a thing, as they can change this in a jiffy. Mobil XHP is blue in color, except for XHP Special, which is blackened by Moly. I had a general purpose bearing grease by Ravenol in Germany, it was also bluish, but that was years ago. It's like Green Castrol or purple Royal Purple...

Originally Posted By: mechjames
Its a teflon based grease, not a petroleum based grease. Good for marine so you dont get petroleum products in the water.

Teflon is a base? Like water based, alcohol based, and petroleum based? That's news to me!

This is the "Blue Grease" I know: General industrial grease designed for applications involving high heat, water, extreme pressure and high loads. Blue Grease HT™ will not separate, soften or run in applications involving heavy loads.
• Resists washout from water or steam
• NLGI Grade 1-1/2 covers applications requiring a NLGI 1 or 2 grease
• Wide temperature range: 13°F to 399°F (–10°C to +224°C)
• Calcium sulfonate complex base
• Dropping point (ASTM D-2265): 550°F (287°C)
• Water washout (ASTM D-1264): 3% loss at 175°F (80°C)
• Four ball wear (ASTM D-2266): 0.45mm scar dia.
• Mobility: 13.6g/minute at 0°F (18°C)
• Timken OK Load (ASTM D-2509): 65 lbs.
• Bearing rust test (ASTM D-1743): Pass
• Applications include outdoor equipment and machinery, bearings, mechanical hoists, water pumps and generators, forklifts, exposed gears and drives, fifth wheel and universal joints

I mean to be honest blue grease is marine grade grease which is supposed to resist water washout. What I've experienced is a good grease for this application needs to have a base that doesn't mix with water thus causing it to thin and washout. I like calcium sulfate based grease because it truly doesn't mix with water.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Originally Posted By: mechjames

Teflon is a base? Like water based, alcohol based, and petroleum based? That's news to me!

Yes there are ptfe based greases.

Originally Posted By: redneck47441
I mean to be honest blue grease is marine grade grease which is supposed to resist water washout. What I've experienced is a good grease for this application needs to have a base that doesn't mix with water thus causing it to thin and washout. I like calcium sulfate based grease because it truly doesn't mix with water.

Blue has nothing too with being marine grade or water resistant. I have some blue mystic synthetic blend grease that will completely separate if it gets a little water in it.

This is unique synthetic grease. I don't use this for ball joints or wheel bearings or car purpose. I think blue grease is or typical use like fan bearings, For all types of plants etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back