Paper Oil Filters Are Obsolete

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think they are. I don't know why you guys continue to buy them.

They have skinny little pleats and most the time come out crooked.

I doubt they are obsolete. Plenty of cars had paper pleated oil filters for years and still use them without issue

Very scientific analysis, thanks for the that. Now inform all the automakers that use cellulose media OFs off the assembly line. I'm sure they'll change immediately.

Originally Posted By: Sayjac
Very scientific analysis, thanks for the that. Now inform all the automakers that use cellulose OFs off the assembly line. I'm sure they'll change immediately.

lol.gif
I'm just telling you guys how I feel. Speaking from the heart here.
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4

Merk take the red pills man those blue ones have obviously stopped working if you need to troll.

Originally Posted By: Rand
Merk take the red pills man those blue ones have obviously stopped working if you need to troll.

LMAO!
crackmeup2.gif

It seems at best they only filter at 95% and at lower micron level. Your oil is as clean as your filter keeps it. Are you trying to extend your OCI with cleaner oil or expose your engine to more dirt over a longer period that's the choice.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
Ironic coming from Mr. 10W-30.

10w-30 not so bad in fact a lot of 10w-30 oil is thinner than Mobil 1 5w-30.

If non-paper oil filters had a place in the market they'd be there, now.

Treated paper filters for air and oil work well and are cost-effective.

There are lots of engines of all kinds that use filters and a substitute filter that would fill the bill would be a heck of a product worth more than a small fortune.

There have been lots of attempts to replace the treated paper filter but none have succeeded on any kind of worthwhile scale.

Originally Posted By: Rand

merk doesn't take pills on the weekend.when he starts a thread such as this,he just wants someone to talk to.
fire up another one, merk, and go and enjoy the ball game.

Trees, any plant, will be filtering molecules through their structures long after humans are extinct. Mobil 1 uses a blend. They don't have to. Cellulose has advantages, synthetic fibers have theirs. I from my heart believe cellulose to be the far more complex material. Synthetic fiber is like kid stuff in comparison. Good fishing.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: otis24
How long before we have synthetic coffee filters? Is paper that obsolete?

A very long time. Paper filters absorb bitter oils in the coffee.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: goodtimes
Trees, any plant, will be filtering molecules through their structures long after humans are extinct. Mobil 1 uses a blend. They don't have to. Cellulose has advantages, synthetic fibers have theirs. I from my heart believe cellulose to be the far more complex material. Synthetic fiber is like kid stuff in comparison. Good fishing.
laugh.gif

+1 Cellulose has advantages, however super long life is not one of them.

Originally Posted By: WellOiled
+1 Cellulose has advantages, however super long life is not one of them.

Bunk.

Most European makes specify 10k+ filter change intervals, and they're almost exclusively cellulose media. Mini and Mercedes OEM seem to be Purflux fleece.

Here's a couple "junk" paper filters:

... +1 Cellulose has advantages, however super long life is not one of them.
How long is "super"? I didn't find any problem in ones I ran several times as long as marketers have convinced some of you guys to believe is the limit for "paper." Sure, the results might have been different, if there'd been a lot of water in the oil, but there wasn't.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: CR94
... +1 Cellulose has advantages, however super long life is not one of them.
How long is "super"? I didn't find any problem in ones I ran several times as long as marketers have convinced some of you guys to believe is the limit for "paper." Sure, the results might have been different, if there'd been a lot of water in the oil, but there wasn't.

When people try to extend a jobber filter to 2x it’s recommended interval, that is super in my view. Depending on conditions, the filter may fail. They do not have enough media for long intervals.

Originally Posted By: otis24
How long before we have synthetic coffee filters? Is paper that obsolete?

My coffee filter is stainless steel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back