tiller wont stay running

Status
Not open for further replies.
hey guys. I have a troy bilt rear tine tiller im borrowing from a relative. It worked perfect in the spring, but i just went to use it now, and it wont stay running. it ran for a couple minutes the first start, then i had to wait a couple hours before it would start again. Then when it did start again, it only ran for a few seconds. Air filter is good. Gas is good, and is getting to the carb. Spark plug looks ok. oil level is good. What should i try next?

If it has a float bowl with a bolt on the bottom (jet) clean it. Make sure the holes in it are not clogged. You might try carb cleaner and even a pin to try and clean the holes. Dirt or rust particles may have clogged them.

Last edited:
You may be in luck since it runs. Just get some Techron, Berrymans or Gumout Regane and pour the recommended amount in the gas tank and run it.

Agree with ZZman but I'd also look at the float needle and seat for the fuel inlet to ensure fuel is getting into the float bowl in sufficient quantity to keep the engine running. Sounds like fuel is getting into the float bowl but not supplying enough for constant running.

Clean everything with a wire and blow the jets and galleries out with compressed air. Another place to check is the fuel line from the fuel tank. Make sure the tank isn't full of rust/sludge. Disconnect the fuel line from both carb & tank and blow it out. Also ensure the fuel cap air vent isn't blocked. Sometimes that malfunctions and air cannot get into the tank. Thus a vacuum occurs restricting fuel flow.

If the fuel system is working properly and the problem still exists, time to check out the coil/condenser if it's an older engine. Otherwise,if it has CDI ignition, it may be malfunctioning when it gets hot.

Cover the above bases and the machine should run.

ethanol related OPE problem. I have a troy bilt horse that I paid $75 for because it wouldnt stay running..cleaned the carb and installed a fuel shutoff valve..runs good. I dont think anything short of taking it apart would have gotten the ethanol goodies that were clogging the jets out.

Originally Posted By: krismoriah72
ethanol related OPE problem. I have a troy bilt horse that I paid $75 for because it wouldnt stay running..cleaned the carb and installed a fuel shutoff valve..runs good. I dont think anything short of taking it apart would have gotten the ethanol goodies that were clogging the jets out.

Agreed. Snake oils are seldom ever effective at doing anything let alone clearing blocked jets/orifices and galleries.

well you guys were spot on.. I took the carb off, and took it apart. I shoved a small wire through the jet and every other opening, then sprayed a half can of carb cleaner in to, and all over it, and now its running perfect. Just ran it for 40 minutes straight at full load with no issue! thank you guys!

And now I'll never know which engine it was or the model number.

I have all this service information on my computer for nothing.
frown.gif

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
And now I'll never know which engine it was or the model number.

I have all this service information on my computer for nothing.
frown.gif

It's a tiller, not a space shuttle.
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back