Is there such thing as too high/low potassium?

Good evening BITOGERS
smile.gif

Last Monday at doctor visit or checkup, I am still losing weight but he ordered blood work to check my potassium level. I eat a lot of greens and spinach, carrots and kale and even beets.

Had blood work done this morning so hopefully I’ll find out in 2 weeks

If you eat a balanced diet you'll be fine.
How old are you ?

I eat 2 bananas everyday for breakfast so I'll be on the high end for potassium. I eat a light breakfast of fruit, if not I'm a zombie all day.

Well I'm not sure about too high, but it could be too low. I know someone who died in her sleep. She might have been anorexic as I remember she used to be overweight then got really thin. Mother found her in the morning. Toxicology took a few weeks, but her heart basically stopped beating because her potassium levels were too low.

Ahh yeah buddy. Potassium levels are 3.5-5 ideally. Very high potassium levels can cause cardiac issues that can result in a severe disturbance in the heart rate. Low potassium can do this as well. Your magnesium level is likely low as well... These two electrolytes are usually ties together. A majority of Americans are typically low on potassium and magnesium.

Originally Posted By: car51
Good evening BITOGERS
smile.gif

Last Monday at doctor visit or checkup, I am still losing weight but he ordered blood work to check my potassium level. I eat a lot of greens and spinach, carrots and kale and even beets.

Why does it take two weeks? I normally get some blood drawn and have results a day or two later, seems like a long time to wait...
frown.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: rollinpete
Originally Posted By: car51
Good evening BITOGERS
smile.gif

Why does it take two weeks? I normally get some blood drawn and have results a day or two later, seems like a long time to wait...
frown.gif

I’ll get the result emailed to me quick; then have checkup in 2 weeks to hear the good or bad news

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
If you eat a balanced diet you'll be fine.
How old are you ?

I eat 2 bananas everyday for breakfast so I'll be on the high end for potassium. I eat a light breakfast of fruit, if not I'm a zombie all day.

I’m almost 37

Of your renal function is poor potassium levels do go up quite a bit... Another factor in the mix here.

Originally Posted By: bbhero
Of your renal function is poor potassium levels do go up quite a bit... Another factor in the mix here.

Yea..but other than that most people have lower potassium. The cause is frequently eating too much salt. Salt depletes potassium

I already covered that aspect of this captain. It should be of note though if renal function is poor then potassium does go up. If car51 has a high GFR... Then it could well be a reason for the potassium levels being requested.

Originally Posted By: bbhero
I already covered that aspect of this captain. It should be of note though if renal function is poor then potassium does go up. If car51 has a high GFR... Then it could well be a reason for the potassium levels being requested.

Thanks for the info bbhero
smile.gif

I have been low on potassium for years . Never really figured out why .

DR. has me on 1 potassium pill a day . I also take over the counter Calcium .

Best of luck to you , :-0

It's all good my friend. I had low +K myself while checked several years ago. Mine was 3.3. We really just don't get quite enough potassium in our diets on average. I got to where I ate a banana a day and some orange juice. My potassium next time was over 4. I do agree with Al that high sodium is certainly another factor as well.

I take a blood pressure pill that can cause me to excrete a lot of K. I take a K pill. 20MEQ. It's a big horse pill that is very hard to swallow. I have to take it with applesauce. Welcome to old age...It's not the sexiest thing.

Potassium in foods isn't hard to find. But greens aren't the best sources. Spinach not bad. I'd shoot for the more abundant potassium foods, esp. the first group below. Even if one's diet is somewhat deficient in Potassium and other minerals, it does a good job of compensating and generally keeping the blood levels of those in the "normal" range. As we age, it no doubt gets harder.

Melons (cantaloupe, honey dew, etc.)
Meats (fish, chicken, etc.)
Potato (esp. sweet)
Avocado
Banana
Raisins
Peas
Lima beans
Spinach - cooked
Figs
various milks...usually fortified
apricot
peach

--------

Celery
Oranges
Tomato
Almonds
Apple

High Potassium can be indicative of kidney problems. My dad is fighting cancer and the drugs he's on currently are beating up his kidneys and as such his potassium levels are hard to keep in line. It is also affecting his blood pressure as a result.

Last edited:
Most people do not consume enough potassium in their everyday diet. And that is a simple fact. Trust me a strong majority of people have low K+ and magnesium.

Last edited:
potassium requirements are pretty high + we prolly fall short unless we are a REALLY healthy eater!! many plant sources of nutrients are POORLY absorbed, Dr Berg among others have a lot of info on potassium + supplements are only ALLOWED to be 99 mg, check out the best sources on-line + beware of high sugar-fructose containing foods like bananas especially very ripe ones higher in sugars + fructose the worse as it is only processed by the liver like alcohol, + of course processed foods + especially sodas containing ALL cheep HFCS is the WORSE!! so research + learn + depending on many things including prescriptions that can cause nutrient deficiencies as well + always remember BIG MEDICAL runs on your $$$$$$$. NOT sure of what any poster KNOWS but many may NOT be eating for OPTIMAL health

Last edited:
I have a lot of problems dealing with the heat in the summer after having heat stroke two times. When it’s hot enough to sweat I take a potassium supplement with my daily vitamin at the recommendation of my doctor. That and I try to drink a pedialyte or gatorlyte every day in addition to water and Gatorade. It has really made a difference.

Back